Easy Zebra Craft (made with Newspaper)
You might have noticed that the main craft supply used in this easy zebra craft is NEWSPAPER! I just love the look that print adds to a craft, don’t you? Plus, it’s a great way to recycle newspaper that you might have otherwise just thrown in the trash. (Though, really, who even gets the newspaper these days. Maybe you need to check with grandma and grandpa to see if they have any back copies.) Use the free zebra craft template to make it even easier to craft along.
Save this Easy Zebra Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIE FROM THE BAG
- Black and white construction paper
- 2 Large googly eyes
- Glue stick
- Stapler with staples
- Black Sharpie marker
- Zebra craft template
Just a reminder (or maybe you are hearing this for the first time) that we stick to a basic list of 27 craft supplies that fit into one bag to make every single creative project on this site. Seriously, imagine filling your bag…just once…and already having everything that you need to make hundreds of crafts. You little one can change his/her mind about what they want to make or create craft after craft, and you will be ready without any additional prep. So simple!
You might also love these zebra books for kids. Telling a story with making a craft is such a great activity combo!
Step 1: Cut the Newspaper Shape
- Find a section of paper that is all text, no pictures, for the front of your zebra craft. The back will not matter as much.
- Layer 2 pieces of newspaper and draw a large egg plant shape on the paper, the full width of a page and just over half the height of a page.
- Then cut out the shape you have created, being sure to keep the layers together so that you end up with 2 identical cut outs.
Step 2: Use the Zebra Craft Template
- Print the zebra craft template.
- Use it to cut out the pieces for your easy zebra craft, using the picture as a guide for what colors of construction paper to use.
Step 3: Add Details to Your Paper Zebra Craft
- On the print only shape that you have cut out of the newspaper, glue the black circles that will go behind the zebra’s eyes in place using your glue stick.
- Then put the googly eyes on top of the black circles.
- Next, glue the zebra’s stripes in place as picture. *When you put them in place it is okay if they hang over the edge of the newspaper cut out.
- Finally, trim away the excess from the stripes that is hanging over the edge of the newspaper.
Step 4: Put the Zebra Art and Craft Together
- Place the second large cut out newspaper shape behind and sandwich the tuft of hair in place at the top.
- Secure this piece in place with a staple.
- Repeat this process, sandwiching each of the ears in place and securing with a staple.
- Now staple all around the head of your zebra art and craft, leaving about a 4-5″ inch opening on one of the sides so that we have a place to put in his “stuffing”.
Step 5: Stuff It
- Tear strips of newspaper and crumple them up.
- Then place them one at time in the opening that you left and gently push them as far as you can into your zebra craft.
- Keep place crumpled pieces of newspaper into your zebra craft until he is filled but not over-filled.
- Finally, staple the opening shut.
Step 6: Finish It Off
- To finish off your zebra craft, glue his nose in place using the glue stick.
- Then use your black Sharpie marker to add a few details, like stripes on his ears, nostrils, and a smile.
How to adapt this project to make it a Zebra Craft for Preschoolers
To make this a little bit more preschool friendly, you can simply precut the pieces from the zebra craft template and help as needed (only as absolutely needed and not more). Use the black sharpie to draw the shape on the newspaper to make it easier to cut it out, though this may be beyond some preschoolers also….OR
…instead of using the template, make the shapes simpler. For the nose, just make an oval and for the stripes make simple skinny triangles and more triangles for the ears. This will make this zebra craft doable for some preschoolers, depending on their scissor skills abilities.