I have always loved those little heart Valentine candies, not for the taste (yuck!) but for the sweet little messages. And today we are going to take basic triangle frames and turn them into heart shaped crafts. You can use the printable or take this as an opportunity to have little ones begin to copy easy sight words instead.
Save these heart shaped crafts for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 3 Large popsicle sticks
- Medium pompom
- Scraps of white (or black) construction paper
- Paint (in a color of your choice)
- Crayons (to match the paint color)
- Glue stick
- Elmer’s glue
- Printable Heart Templates
*If you do not have access to a printer, you will also need construction paper and a black sharpie marker.
Step 1: Build a Triangle Frame
- Place the 3 large popsicle sticks in a triangle shape.
- Secure at each intersection with a drop of Elmer’s glue.
- Set the frame aside and give it time to dry.
*While the glue is drying, move on to step 2. You may also want to take the time to get a snack or do some jumping jacks. Better yet, make the triangle frames the day before and allow them to dry overnight. I love to keep several prepared triangle frames in my craft back for projects just like this one. As a matter of fact, we have an entire book of crafts that start with a popsicle stick triangle frame.
Check out the 45 Easy Triangle Crafts eBook. Craft collections include projects like circus characters, space, dinosaurs, insects and more!
Step 2: Color the Hearts
- Print out the templates of your choice.
- Choose a crayon color and color in your “candy” heart(s)
*If you do not have access to a printer, that is okay. Just trace around the outside of a triangle frame onto construction paper. Then cut about 1/4″ inside the triangle. Then use a your black sharpie marker to write on a candy message on your heart shaped crafts.
Step 3: Paint the Frame
- Spread out the newspaper and place the triangle frame on the newspaper.
- Pinch the pompom with the clothespin to form a “paint brush”
- Squeeze out a bit of paint in a matching color to what you have colored your “candy heart” onto the newspaper.
- Paint the triangle frame and set it aside to give it time to dry.
Step 4: Cut out the Hearts
- While the paint is drying on the frame, go back to the “candy hearts” that you colored in step 2.
- Cut out the hearts.
Step 5: Create the Heart Effect
- Next, cut out small triangles from the scrap of white (or black) construction paper, the height of the width of a popsicle stick. These will turn your triangles into a “heart”.
- Finally, glue the tiny little white triangles on top of the upside down triangle frame to finish off your heart shaped crafts.
Step 6: Add the “Candy” Heart Message
- Now that all of the parts are prepped and ready, you can put together your heart shaped crafts.
- Glue the cut out and colored triangles onto the back of the popsicle stick triangle frame using your glue stick.
These crafty Valentine hearts are the perfect little way to say I love you. To finish them off into a DIY Valentine card, cut a piece of plain white paper the size of the triangle frame and glue it onto the back. Then you can write a personal Valentine message. You may also enjoy making these other easy Valentine crafts…