This Horton Hears a Who craft is perfect for celebrating Dr. Seuss Reading Week or really to make any day at all. “Horton Hears a Who” is a classic story by Dr. Seuss with such a wonderful theme for kids of any age (and adults for that matter). Horton, the elephant, comes to realize that people matter, not matter their size or anything else. And he does everything that he can to make the world a better place. Wouldn’t we all be better off if there were more people like Horton?
Make Even More Crafts with Your Kids (You’ll be so happy you did)
Dr. Seuss Day activities are usually all “Cat in the Hat” themed. Here is a chance to change it up a little and have the kiddos make not only a craft but something that they can give away. Kind of like Horton, they would be making the world a little better by giving a card to make someone’s day better.
Save this Horton Hears a Who Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 1 piece of construction paper (for the base of the card)
- 1/2 piece of gray construction paper (for the elephant)
- Large pompom (color of your choice for the flower)
- Green washi tape (can be a design or solid color)
- Pipe cleaner
- Elmer’s glue
- Medium googly eye
- Glue stick
- Horton Hears a Who craft template
This craft, like every other project on this site, is made from the same MASTER LIST of supplies. With this approach, you can now create with your family without the stress and no prep necessary. Just fill up your bag, and you will be ready to go when the opportunity arises…maybe that next rainy day when you are all stuck inside or while dinner is cooking. It really is that simple.
MAKING HORTON’S FLOWER
- Wrap the washi tape around the pipe cleaner until it is covered. Make the washi tape nice and tight.
**If you are working with little ones, you can skip the washi tape wrapping step all together and just use a regular green pipe cleaner. This step is completely optional.
- Wrap the pipe cleaner around a pencil to form a curly Q
- This will be the stem of the flower
- Cover the end of stem with Elmer’s glue
- Put a large pompom on the end of the stem and allow glue to dry
*You only need one of these flowers for Horton to hold on the card. But you may want to make more for an adorable Dr. Seuss Day craft bouquet.
PUTTING THE HORTON HEARS A WHO CRAFT CARD TOGETHER
- Fold the piece of construction paper for the base of the card in half
- Draw the elephant’s head and trunk on the half sheet of construction paper (I used gray, but you can make your elephant any color that you would like. Be whimsical.) Or you can use the printable template for Horton
- Cut out the elephant
- Roll the trunk around a pencil
- Use the glue stick to adhere the elephant onto the card (flap opens at the bottom)
- Put the googly eye in place. A self-adhesive one works best. But if your googly eye is not self-adhesive, just use the glue stick.
- Use the markers to add details and script to the card.
- Then finish it off by writing your personal message inside.
- Place the flower in the rolled section of the elephant’s trunk. Now this Horton craft is taking shape.
This Horton Hears a Who craft idea is so simple really and takes just a few supplies. You likely have everything that you need on hand. Please note that if you do not have washi tape, just skip that step. You can make this Dr. Seuss craft with a green pipe cleaner just fine. I know that you will love making this Horton Hears a Who craft as much as you love reading the book.
More Cartoon Crafts to try
- Paw Patrol Puppets
- Curious George Craft
- Peppa Pig Craft
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Baby Shark Puppets
- Minnie Mouse Pouch
- Mickey Mouse Newspaper
- Pete the Cat Mobile
- Cruella Devil Craft
- Popsicle Stick Dalmatian Crafts