There isn’t anything in my craft bag that can make an actual soccer ball (though that would be fun), but there are the perfect supplies for this soccer ball craft made from recycled newspaper. It doesn’t take much, goes together rather quickly and can lead to fun beyond making this sports craft. This would be a great activity for an end of the season soccer team party or just for fun with your own kids on a rainy afternoon when they can’t be out on the soccer field.
Save this Soccer Ball Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Stapler with staples
- Black construction paper
- Black marker
- Soccer Ball Craft Template (Printable pdf)
Just like every craft here, the supplies in this list are from the same master list of basic craft items that we use for all of our creative projects. This list includes 27 carefully curated items that have been chosen for their versatility, affordability and opportunity for creativity. Plus, they all fit into one bag. So, just fill your bag, and you will be ready to go.
Soccer Ball Craft Instructions
Step 1: Cut the Newspaper
- Find a section of newspaper without too many pictures (or use the comics if you prefer a little bit of color).
- Draw a large circle. If you want don’t want to do it free-hand, tie a string to a pencil and hold the pencil, eraser down, in the center of the paper. Tie a pencil point down to the other end of the string and pull it around in a circle.
- Cut out your circle with 2 layers of paper together.
Step 2: Staple Your Soccer Craft
- Staple all around the outside of the large newspaper circle, keeping the staples close together.
- Leave a section of the circle, about 6 inches wide, open to add the stuffing later.
Step 3: Use the Soccer Ball Craft Template
- Use the printable template to cut out 6 pentagons from the black construction paper.
*There is also a template for a small version of this soccer ball craft.
Step 4: Add the Shapes
- Use the glue stick to place one of the pentagon shapes in the center of the newspaper circle.
- Then glue the other 5 pentagon shapes around the outside of the circle, hanging over the edge.
- Trim away the excess of each shape as pictured.
Step 5: Give your Soccer Ball Craft Details
- Draw a line between each of the points of the pentagon shapes as pictured. This is a traditional soccer ball design.
Step 6: Stuff It
- Crumple up pieces of newspaper and gentle stuff the soccer ball.
- Use the eraser end of the pencil to push the pieces of paper into the soccer ball craft to fill up it up sufficiently.
- Keep putting crumpled newspaper into the opening until it is as puffy as you want it. Be careful not to overfill the soccer craft.
Step 7: Finish Off Your Sports Craft
- Finish off the soccer craft by stapling the open section closed.
Now that you know how to make this fun and simple soccer ball craft, what’s next? Maybe you want to make more newspaper crafts. Check these out: