This sledding craft mobile is the perfect winter craft for kids to make. Though, really, why not dream about the snow any time of the year? My favorite part of this easy paper plate craft is that it can be personalized. Maybe you want to take pictures while out on a snowy adventure, then come home, print a few of the photos (it can just be on paper if you want) and put make your adventure come back to life in your art. Of course, maybe you would prefer to put a unicorn on the sled. It’s totally up to you…this is YOUR craft. Make it your own.
Save this Sledding Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper plate (9-inch coated)
- Red, brown and white construction paper
- Single hole punch
- Glue stick
- White yarn
- Photo or drawing of you in your winter gear (for on the sled)
- Sled template
If you have stick around here for long, you will start to notice that things are a little bit different around here. I guess you could say that we like to do more with less. As a matter of fact, we limit the items that we use to make every single craft on this site…and we do this to make your life easier. Stick to the master list of craft supplies (just 27 items that fit into one bag…lots of which I promise you already have on hand) and you are ready to go…just add imagination.
Check out these snowy day activities…
Step 1: Cut the Paper Plate
- With the bottom of the plate facing up, cut the paper plate into a spiral, with the sections about 2 inches across. *Like everything in this craft, this does not need to be exact.
- When you get to the middle, bend it up slightly.
- Round off any sharp edges.
Step 2: Give Your Mobile a Hanger
- Use the hole punch to put a hole in the tab that you bent up in the middle of the paper plate.
- Cut a length of yarn, about 18 inch long and string it through the hole.
- Tie it off to make a hanger for your mobile.
Step 3: Use the Winter Craft Template
- Print out the sled template.
- Use the template to cut out the sled shapes as pictured. You will have a flyer sled and a toboggan when you are finished.
- Fold the bottom of the sled where you see the dotted lines on the template.
*To make this an easy winter craft for preschoolers, the sleds may be a little of a cutting challenge. So, you can just stick to making toboggans since they are just a basic shape. Of course, you may want to make them in more vibrant colors…that works.
Step 4: Add Some Detail to Your Sled Craft
- Use the sharpie to add some details to the top your sled.
- Then get the silver crayon out to draw some skis onto the bottom of your sled (as pictured).
- Take the glue stick and glue together your sled pieces.
- For the toboggan, curl one side of the long rectangle and use a little glue to hold it in place.
*We are making 2 sleds, but you can add more to the sledding slope if you want.
Step 5: Put Yourself in the Scene
- Find a picture of yourself (or a friend) or draw a picture. These kids are in their winter gear since they are going sledding, but maybe you want to sled in your blue jeans or a bathing suit…this is YOUR craft. So, make it look however you want. Maybe there aren’t even people on the sleds…make your dog, cat and guinea pig sled down the slopes instead.
- Once you have your pictures ready, cut them out and glue them onto the sled. Position them like sledders by bending and folding them as needed.
Step 6: Finish Off the Sledding Craft
- The final step is to put your sleds on the mobile. To figure out where you want them, hold the mobile up by the string and mark the spots where you would like the sleds to go.
- Then just put some glue (generously) onto the bottom of each sled and press it firmly in place.
Now that you know how to make this super fun and easy winter craft, it’s time to add your own “spin” to it (get it?…spin?) This sled craft can be changed up however you want. Add more sleds or have just one special sled…choose your own colors and designs…create a special sled of your own making…seriously, there are not limits but your imagination. I can’t wait to see your sled craft ideas!