This adorable paper plate cat craft has this little kitty curled up into a ball, sleeping the day away. In our version, the cat is orange with with stripes, but you can choose your own colors and make your cat look however you like. The only limit is your imagination.
If you like this easy cat craft, you might also like these pet crafts:
Scroll to the end to see the full video tutorial of this fun and simple cat craft. My young friend, Elliott, joined me in the studio to help demonstrate. Come craft with us!
Save this Cat Craft for Kids for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper plate (9-inch coated)
- Orange paint
- Medium pompom
- Black marker
- Orange construction paper
- Glue stick
- Stapler with staples
- Cat craft template
Crafting with your kids is so beneficial and fun, but it often gets put off…because, I mean, who really has the time? So, we do things a little differently here to make crafting with your kids actually do-able, even when life is hectic.
Our approach is to stick to a master list of supplies that fit into one bag to make ALL of the creative projects on this site. Once you fill your bag, you are ready to craft away. Just pick something that you know your kids are going to LOVE. You already have everything you need in your craft bag without another trip to the store.
Amp up your creativity by adding a good cat book for kids to the fun. Try one of these…
Paper Plate Cat Craft Instructions
Step 1 – Paint the Paper Plate
- Spread out newspaper on your work surface.
- Place the paper plate face down on the newspaper
- Squeeze out some orange paint.
- Pinch the pompom with a clothespin to form a “paint brush”.
- Paint the bottom of the paper plate, tapping the paint to make it look a little like the cat’s fur.
- Give the paint some time to dry.
Step 2 – Use the Cat Craft Template
- Print the cat craft template onto construction paper (color of your choice). OR print it out onto plain paper and use it as a guide.
- Cut out the head and tail of your cat.
*If you do not have access to a printer, draw a cat’s head and a tail onto construction paper. Use the plate as a guide for the curve of the tail.
Step 3 – Build the Base of Your Paper Plate Craft
- Once the paint has dried, cut a slit in the paper plate from the edge to the center.
- The overlap where you have made the slit by about 1 to 2 inches.
- Secure the paper plate in this cone shape using the stapler.
Step 4 – Put Together Your Pet Craft
- Now it’s time to add the parts of your cat onto the paper plate cone shape.
- Use the glue stick to attach the cat’s head over the seam. You can leave the ears unglued so that they are raised off of the plate.
- Then add the tail to the plate, with the end curling up to the cat’s face. You can leave the end of the cat’s tail unglued so that it stays up off of the plate.
One of my favorite things in the world is to have a relaxing evening, watching a favorite show or reading a good book, with my cat curled up on my lap. I hope that you enjoy this craft as much as I enjoy cuddling with my adorable kitties.
Watch the Full Video Tutorial of this Easy Kitty Craft for Kids:
More Animal Crafts for Kids to Make
- Llama Craft
- Kangaroo Craft
- Ocean Animal Crafts
- Skunk Craft
- Tiger Craft
- Giraffe Craft
- Clothespin Animals (Tiger, Unicorn and Zebra)
- Paper Bag Squirrel Craft
- Wiggly Eared Dog Craft
- Axolotl Craft Puppet
- Sleeping Deer Craft
- Paper Bag Cats
- Paper Bag Owl Crafts
- Fluffy Bunny Craft
- Clothespin Porcupine Craft