This dolphin craft is so fun and simple to make. Just use the free printable craft template, and it goes together easy. I remember the last time I went to the beach. The dolphins were my favorite thing. Our family would hang out on the beach at sunset just hoping for a glimpse of a dolphin jumping in the surf. It is such a sight to behold.
Fun Facts about Dolphins
- Dolphins often stay with their mothers for a long time, even up to 3 to 8 years.
- They have 2 stomachs.
- Dolphins can dive up to 1000 feet.
- They live on average around 17 years and have been known to live up to 50 years.
- When eating, they don’t chew their food but swallow it whole.
- They are extremely intelligent animals. When comparing the size of their brain to their body, they come in second only to humans.
To learn more interesting facts about dolphins, check out this article from Surfer Today.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper (light gray)
- Glue stick
- Black metal brad
- Black metal brad (optional)
- Dolphin craft template
I know that life is hectic, but you still want to find time to make crafts with your family (or you wouldn’t be here). So, I’ve found a way to still be creative but keep the prep and the mess to a minimum. To do this we stick to a master list of basic craft supplies that fit into one bag.
With this approach there’s no more putting off making a craft until you have just what you need…no more running to the store for that missing “ingredient”…no more closets stuffed full of craft supplies with no real plan to make anything…and, most importantly…no more glitter.
Save this Sea Animal Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make an Easy Dolphin Craft
Step 1: Use the Dolphin Craft Template
- Download and print the dolphin craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your paper dolphin.
- We used shades of gray paper, but you can choose whatever colors of construction paper you like.
Step 2 (Optional): Add Some Details to Your Ocean Animal Craft
- Use crayons to add details to the parts of your dolphin, including a mouth. We added a little darkness to the back of the dolphin and white to his stomach.
*This step is optional. You can opt to leave the paper as is instead. Or even get out the paints if you want to add more dimension.
Step 3: Accordion Fold the Body
- Take the long and curved body part of your dolphin template and fold it into an accordion.
- Fold it in half first and then continue to fold it in halves so that the sections are even. Each section should be about 1 inch wide.
Step 4: Assemble Your Sea Animal Craft
- Now it’s time to glue the parts of your craft together.
- Start by using your glue stick to attach the head of the dolphin.
- Then add on the tail.
- Attach the fin to the side in the front of the accordion section.
- Last, add the dorsal fin to the top of your dolphin, at the back of his head.
Step 5: Add the Eye
- As a special touch, press a dark colored brad through the head of the paper dolphin for the eye.
- Add some shadowing and detail around the eye using your crayons (optional).
*If you don’t have any brads on hand, just draw on the eye with a marker.
Now that you know how to make this dolphin craft, really make it your own. We kept the colors traditional for this paper ocean animal craft, but you should make it your own with any colors and designs that you want. After all, they are the unicorns of the sea. You could even cover him in washi tape stripes. So, keep it fun and use your imagination.