It is that time of year again…everyone has gone back to school. And so, I pulled out the craft supplies and made something in honor of all those teachers out there, a simple popsicle stick kids craft pencil holder. You can make it to put on your desk at home too or, better yet, give it to your teacher to say that you are glad to be in her/his class this year!
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Washi tape
- 16 Large popsicle sticks
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Paper plate
I know how busy you all are…but I also know how important it is to spend genuine, hands-on time with our kiddos. And the days just go by so quickly. Sometimes those spare moments creep up on us, and we are not prepared to take advantage of them. So, let me help. Visit our “fill your bag” page for the FREE printable list so that you will be ready to create with your kids. When you make your kit, you will have everything you need to make every single project on this blog, no exceptions!
- Cover each of the 16 large popsicle sticks using a variety of washi tape
- Trim around the edges and press down any rough edges of tape
This craft looks very simple, but let me warn you that it is a little bit more complicated that it seems. First, you need to have a little bit of patience for repetitive activities because covering each stick with wash tape can take some time. Then you also need to be willing to fix problems as they arise. Like if a stick comes loose or the washi tape doesn’t go on just perfect. Children or adults who are easily frustrated may need to start with a craft that is a little more forgiving. But if you are up for the challenge, the end result is worth the work.
- Cut a strip of construction paper on the horizontal, just taller than the length of a popsicle stick
- To make the line straight, fold and crease first
- Glue the popsicle sticks across the piece of paper, leaving about 1/2 of paper sticking out the bottom as pictured
- Press firmly and let the glue dry before moving on to the next step
- Snip along the bottom of the paper, each snip about 1/2 apart
- Glue the paper into a circle so that the popsicle sticks touch all the way around
- Trace the bottom of the circle onto the middle of the paper plate using a pencil
- Cut out the circle, making sure that it is small enough not to be seen outside of the popsicle stick collection
- Generously glue the circle onto the bottom of the popsicle sticks
- Use the eraser of the pencil to secure the bottom of the pencil holder
- Allow the glue to dry thoroughly
If you enjoyed making this popsicle stick kids craft pencil holder, please share!!! We would love to see your version of this craft, and do not be afraid to make it your own! Send stories, pics, video to [email protected] I will be sure to share it on the community gallery, with credit given of course!