This penguin craft starts with a little paint and goes from there. It’s fun to see the different elements and textures, like recycled newspaper for the tummy, come together to form a work of art. This winter craft can also turn into a teaching tool with one little tweak. Stick around to the end to see how we make this a “P is for Penguin” craft to use with your preschoolers too.
I remember my first trip to the zoo going into the penguin exhibit. It was like something magical. The penguins were just stunning in their beauty and also comical how they interacted with each other. It was like entering a whole other world. My parents had to practically drag me out of there. Truly I could have spent all day just watching them. And now I get to share a little of that magic with you in this simple penguin craft.
Save this Paper Penguin Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper (any color for background)
- Black paint
- Clothespin (optional)
- Scraps of orange and black construction paper
- Glue stick
- 2 Large googly eyes
- Penguin craft template
Have you ever seen a capsule wardrobe? I just love that idea…a set of clothes that you can mix and match endlessly for amazing looks. The crafts on this website are sort of the same thing. We stick to a master list of 27 basic craft supplies that fit into one bag and mix and match them for all kinds of creative outcomes. We do not stray from that list of supplies so that once you fill your bag, you will be able to craft with your kids for hours on end without any additional prep. So easy!!!
Penguin Craft Instructions
Step 1: Paint
- Use your pencil to draw a large egg shape in the center of your construction paper.
- On a scrap of newspaper or a paper plate, squeeze out some black paint.
- Pinch the pompom with the clothespin to form a “paint brush”.
- Then paint the egg that you have drawn black.
- Set it aside to allow it to dry.
Step 2: Use the Penguin Craft Template
- Print out the free penguin craft template to make crafting easy for this project.
- Use the template to cut a large oval from newspaper print (try to find a section without pictures or ads) for the penguin’s tummy
- Then cut the wings and hair tuft from black construction paper
- Last, cut the beak and feet from some orange construction paper. If you want the beak to open, fold the paper in half before cutting
Step 3: Put It Together
- Now that the paint has dried, use your glue stick to attach the newspaper tummy to your penguin craft.
- Then add the wings, beak, feet and tuft on top of his head.
Step 4: Add Details to Your Easy Penguin Craft
- Place the googly eyes.
- Add any other details that you want using your markers.
- Optional: Decorate the picture around the penguin with your markers too.
Make this a “P is for Penguin” Craft
- To make this a teaching tool for preschoolers or kindergarteners, cut out and glue a large letter ‘P’ onto the penguins newspaper tummy.
- This forms it into a “P is for Penguin” craft that you can use in lessons and talk about how to sound out and write the letter ‘P’.
Now that you know how to make this easy penguin craft, here are a few more penguin projects to add to the fun: