Sometimes in the heart of winter you just need a day inside creating things. Winter arts and crafts activities can warm you up inside and be just the thing. This winter paper craft snowflake mobile is perfect! It takes just a few supplies and looks great hanging in any room. As always, I encourage you to use your imagination and make this craft however you want. The instructions are just a guideline. If you want to make rainbow colored snowflakes, you should! Really, make this how you want it.
Take note that this craft in its current form is more appropriate for older kids since it will require adult sized scissors to cut through all of the layers of paper for the snowflakes. However, I have added an alternative way to make the snowflakes which is not as difficult. Note the second paper snowflake video tutorial in step 2 for some simpler snowflakes.
Save this Winter Paper Craft Snowflake Mobile for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 4 Pieces gray construction paper
- 3 Pieces white construction paper (or printer paper)
- Scissors (you will need adult scissors)
- Glue stick
- White yarn
- Stapler with staples
- Gray marker
- Printable Cloud Template
This supply list here is part of a larger (though not too large) master list that we use for every crafty project on this site. I promise this will make your life so much simpler! When you only have a limited amount of time (which I know is the case because you are a mom), sticking to this basic list really does limit the amount of preparation you will need to do in order to craft with your kids. You’re welcome 🙂
Step 1: Cut Out the Clouds
- Fold a piece of gray construction paper in half and cut a half cloud shape. There is a printable template if you would like something to trace. *Fill up as much of the paper with the cloud as you can.
- Cut out the snow cloud.
- Repeat this until you have 4 identical paper clouds.
Step 2: Make Some Paper Snowflakes
*You will make 5 paper snowflakes all together for this Winter paper craft Snowflake mobile.
- Accordion fold a piece of white paper with small pleats, approximately 1/2 each pleat.
- Once you have pleated the paper, cut it in half.
- Fold one of your accordions in half and secure the middle with a staple.
- Cut the end of the snowflakes and put in some notches.
- Mimic the same pattern on both sides of the staple.
- Spread out the fan and glue the ends together on each side to form a round paper snowflake.
- Staple a piece of yarn to each snowflake, at least 1 yard long. Be sure to put a knot at the end so that the yarn does not pull out.
- On the fifth snowflake, leave the yarn extra long because it will also be the hanger for your mobile.
Check out this video tutorial for making 3D paper snowflakes…
You can also simplify this project slightly and make these snowflakes instead. You can use kids’ scissors for these.
Step 3: Put the Snowflake Mobile Together
- Glue the halves of 2 of your paper snow clouds together, sandwiching the string from one of your paper snowflakes in between the clouds. Be sure not to put the snowflakes too close to the center of the cloud.
- Repeat this process 3 more times. But do not close up the final section of your cloud mobile.
- For the fifth and final snowflake, place it in the very center of the 4 cut out paper clouds.
- Leave a length of yarn hanging out the top which you can tie into a loop to hang up your winter mobile.
- Glue the final section of the cloud together.
- As a final touch, when this winter paper craft snowflake mobile is hanging up, adjust the snowflakes to be alternating lengths. Tie a new knot and trim off the excess.
Optional: You can use a gray marker to add some details to your cloud. You could even go a step farther and give your cloud a happy face and googly eyes.
What winter crafts will you be making? I hope that you will give this winter paper craft snowflake mobile a shot. And maybe check out these other winter crafts too.