There is a lot of togetherness right now. And that can be a good thing…but it can also be A LOT sometimes. This simple little paper chain craft is designed to help break up the boredom. It is filled with screen free activities for kids (free list to get your start available). One the paper chain has been put together, you just pull a link off when things are getting to be a bit much and you need to change things up for a bit. Each activity should take about 30 minutes or less.
To get you started, I have come up with 50 fun boredom buster activities, each is a screen free activity, that you can use with your family! (like create an obstacle course, go to an amusement park virtually, develop a secret family handshake…and so many more!)
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper in a variety of colors
- Stapler with staples
- Printable List of 50 Screen Free Activity Ideas
Step 1: Make the Paper Chain Strips
- Choose your favorite colors of construction paper
- Cut paper chain strips approximately 1 1/2 inches wide.
Step 2: Writing Out Your Screen Free Activities
- Decide on what activities you will use for your boredom breakers/screen free activities. Sign up below for some ideas to get you started…
- Write each activity on a separate strip of paper. For little ones, have them help you come up with ideas while you do the writing.
Need some ideas to get you started? Here are 50!…
Step 3: Make the Paper Chain
- First, roll one of the paper chain strips into a circle and staple it to form the first link. The writing should go inside so that it is more of a surprise when a link is removed. For little ones who cannot operate the stapler, use a glue stick instead.
- Then, slide the second strip of paper through the first and staple it into a circle.
- To finish it off, keep making links in the same way until the chain is as long as you want it to be.
*Bonus: Using a stapler is a great tool for working on hand strength!
How to use your “Boredom Buster Paper Chain”
- Pull a link off of the chain any time you want to mix things up a little
- Complete the screen free activity!
- It’s as simple as that…
Here are a few more screen free activities that you can enjoy as a family: