DIY Valentine cards are such wonderful ways to show love to others. Have you ever received a handmade card? It immediately makes you feel special and adored. Someone actually took the time to make something with their own hands just for you. Both the giver and the receiver are blessed. These super simple DIY Valentine cards can be made with just a few supplies, and even toddlers can participate in placing the colorful tissue paper squares.
Save these DIY Valentine Cards for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- White and pink construction paper
- Tissue paper squares (1″ in assorted colors)
- Glue stick
- Black sharpie
- Optional: hole punch
- Printable heart template
You have probably noticed that we like to keep this super simple around here. As a matter of fact, we even keep the supplies needed basic by sticking to the same master list for everything that we make. The list is full of inexpensive and versatile craft supplies that all fit into one bag. And, even better, you probably have half of these things in your home already. Get the complete list of supplies HERE.
Step 1: Fold the Card
- Take your piece of white construction paper and fold it in half. You can use the handle of your scissors to make the crease sharp.
- Place the folded paper in front of you with the opening on the right.
Step 2: Add Some Tissue Squares
- Using your glue stick, attach some one-inch squares of tissue paper squares to the front of your DIY Valentine card. You will want to work in sections so that the glue stays sticky.
- *There is no right or wrong way to do this. Use whatever colors you like and make any pattern you would like. For little ones, just allow them to randomly place the pieces on the front of the card.
Step 3: Cut Out the Heart
- From the pink construction paper, cut a small heart (about 4″ across). The easiest way to do this is to fold a square of the pink paper in half and then cut an arc/half heart shape.
- *There is a template for the heart if you would like to have something to trace instead of cutting it free-hand.
Step 4: Decorate the Heart
- Decorate the heart using whatever you have on hand. I used a hole punch and wrote a message with markers. But you should make yours however you want. Just use your imagination and make it your own.
Step 5: Make Your Heart 3D (Optional)
- Cut two strips of construction paper, about 1/2″ wide.
- Attach these strips at the ends to form an ‘L’ shape.
- Now fold each over the other, back and forth until you have what looks like an accordion. When it is the length that you want, just trim the excess paper and secure the ends with the glue stick.
Step 6: Finish Off Your DIY Valentine Cards
- For the final step, just glue the “spring” to the center of the Valentine card.
I’m sure that you have noticed that there is more than one way to make these DIY Valentine crafts. Each card uses the same supplies, but they look completely different. And that is how it should be. Be sure to let your child be as independent as possible and make his/her own design, even (and especially) if it is not the same way that you would do it. It’s so important to let kids explore and be creative all on their own. This is how they learn best.