A simple paper animal craft is a great project to get started with if you’re wanting to create more with your family. This armadillo craft takes just a few basic craft suppplies from “in the bag”, and is super easy when you use the free printable armadillo craft template. Once you make him, craft more animal friends and tell a story. Try this kangaroo craft or these owl crafts for starters.
Save this Anteater Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Brown construction paper
- Glue stick
- Brown tissue paper squares (optional)
- Brown paint (optional)
- Q-tips (optional)
- Paper plate or newspaper (optional)
- Armadillo craft template
Making crafts with your kids should be fun and carefree. And we want to make it easier for you so that you can spend less time prepping and more time enjoying more time creating together. So, every single craft for kids that you see here is made using basic craft supplies from the same master list. This list consists of just 27 inexpensive and versatile items that fit into one bag. Once you fill your bag, you’re ready to go. Try our super low prep way to make crafts with your family now.
Armadillo Fun Facts
There are about 20 species of armadillos of various sizes and behaviors. All of them are covered in plates of “armor”. They live throughout America and South America and sleep about 16 hours a day. When awake, they spend the majority of their time foraging for food, mostly insects. Armadillos are good swimmers. They are sometimes referred to as anteaters because of their diet and long thin snout, but anteaters are from a different order and have thick fur. There is only one kind of armadillo that can actually curl up into a ball.
Our Favorite Armadillo Books for Kids
Combining crafting with reading a good book is the perfect way to really elevate this kids’ activity and spend quality time together as a family. Here are some of our favorite books for kids about armadillos.
Armadillo Craft Instructions
Step 1: Fold an Accordion
- Fold a brown piece of construction paper in half and cut on the line.
- Take one half and fold it accordion style.
- Set the other half aside.
Step 2: Use the Armadillo Craft Template
- Print the armadillo craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your paper craft animal.
*You can also print the template directly onto brown construction paper and then cut out the parts.
Step 3: Put Together the Body
- Attach the 2 large parts of the armadillo body that you cut from the template to the folded accordion using the glue stick.
- Trim the curve and smooth off any rough edges with your scissors.
Step 4 (Optional): Add the Fur
- Turn the body of the armadillo over to the back and put a line of glue stick along the bottom.
- Randomly place squares of brown tissue paper onto the glue, leaving the squares to hang part way over the bottom.
- Use your scissors to snip at the tissue paper squares to form a sort of “fur”.
Step 5: Put It Together
- Add some accordion folds to the tail of your animal craft.
- Use the glue stick to attach all of the parts of your paper armadillo craft as pictured.
Step 6: Add Some Details
- Add details to your armadillo, including his eye and whatever other elements you would like, using markers.
Step 7 (Optional): Give It Texture
- Squeeze out a bit of brown paint onto some newspaper or a paper plate.
- Use a q-tip to add dots to the amardillo craft to imitate the texture of his armor.
- As a final touch, I added some glue to the back of the center of the accordion on the bottom and pinched it so that the armadillo was slightly curved in the middle rather than flat.
Now that you know how to make this armadillo, it’s time to really put your imagination to work. Create a home for him, feed him pretend food, make up stories, give your armadillo a name. You can even put a bow on his head or draw on a sweater. There is no limit to the fun that you can have with your creation. And just because our armadillo is brown, that doesn’t mean that yours has to be too. Maybe yours is orange with blue spots or rainbow colored. Just go wild with it!