Let’s make an easy penguin craft with newspaper! I am absolutely obsessed with newspaper crafts for kids. First of all, it is a great way to recycle, but that’s not all. Newspaper is really such a great way to add some interest to any craft, whether that be the black and white print or the colorful comics page. If you like this penguin craft, check out these other newspaper crafts: Panda Craft, White Tiger Craft, Racoon Craft, and the Rabbit Craft.
Save this Easy Penguin Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper (black, white and orange)
- 2 Large googly eyes (self-adhesive 25mm)
- Stapler with staples
- Glue stick
- Penguin Craft Template
Like every single craft on this site, the items on this list come from the master list that we use for every single creative project. The list includes 27 basic items that are versatile, inexpensive and fit into one bag. We carefully curated this list for optimal results. Mix and match until your heart’s content. Crafting like this with your kids ensures that you will have what you need when you sit down to craft together. Less prep, less mess and way more fun!
Step 1: Cut Out the Penguin Craft
- Take a page out of your newspaper and leave it folded so that there are 2 layers. Be sure to pick a page without large photos or a lot of color. You want to choose a page that is mostly just text…but please, avoid the obituaries out of respect.
- Draw a large egg shape onto the newspaper, about 3/4″ the height of your newspaper page.
- Cut out your large egg shape, which will be the start of your penguin craft.
Step 2: Use the Penguin Craft Template
- Print the penguin craft template and use it to cut out the parts of your penguin. You can do this by cut out the pieces and tracing them or just laying a rough cut part onto of the construction paper and cutting it out as you cut the template. The latter is my preferred way to cut out the template pieces.
- Use the image for what colors to make each part of the craft.
- Set these aside.
Step 3: Time to Staple
- Place the 2 cut out pieces of newspaper on top of each other.
- Then sandwich the feet in between the pieces of newspaper where they will go. Secure in place with a staple.
- Do the same thing with the little tuft of feathers for the top of his head.
- Continue to staple around the outside of the newspaper pieces, keeping the staples rather close together. **But be sure to leave a section open so that you will have a place to put the stuffing in. Choose a section away from where the wings will go.
Step 4: Add to Your Newspaper Craft
- Use the glue stick to add the penguin’s belly, beak and wings.
- Then put the self-adhesive googly eyes in place.
- I also decided to cut a couple of pink circles and gave him some rosy cheeks.
Step 5: Stuff the Paper Penguin Craft
- Take out another piece of newspaper and tear it into strips.
- Crumple up a strip of newspaper and place it inside the penguin through the section that you left open.
- Keep adding crumpled up pieces of newspaper until the inside is filled, but don’t overstuff it.
Step 6: Finish Off Your Penguin Art and Craft
- Once your easy penguin craft is stuffed with newspaper, it’s time to finish it off.
- Use the stapler to close the section that is still open.
Now that you know how to make a penguin craft, it’s time for you to really make it your own. Just because there is a template and pictures doesn’t mean that you need to stick to exactly what we did here. You should color outside the lines. Use your imagination and change things up, add more details, get out the crayons, marker and paints even. This is your craft. And it should look like no one else’s.