This Earth craft is perfect for celebrating Earth Day or any time you want a simple reminder of how lucky we are to be able to enjoy the beauty of our planet. Start with a paper plate and use the free printable craft template to make crafting super easy. This craft is like giving our World the big hug that it deserves.
Fun Facts about Earth
- Earth is the third closest planet to the sun.
- We know that the Earth isn’t flat, but it’s also not perfectly round, bulging at the equator.
- There was once one land mass surrounded by water, but over millions of years, the continents drifted apart into the world that we now know.
- About 600 to 800 million years ago, the Earth underwent extreme climate changes known as the ice ages.
- There are 2 asteroids that travel along with the Earth in similar patterns around the sun.
- The Earth is 4.543 billion years old.
For more interesting facts about the Earthy, check out this article from Fun Kids.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper plate (9-inch coated)
- Crayons or markers
- Glue stick
- Construction paper
- Googly eyes (or printable paper eyes)
- Earth craft template
Our approach to crafting with kids leaves nothing to waste and keeps the mess in check. Fill your bag using our master list of craft supplies. We sitck to this basic list for every single craft that we make here. It’s as simple as that…and did I mention there’s no glitter involved?…you’re welcome.
Save this Earth Day craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make an Earth Craft
Step 1: Use the Earth Craft Template
- Download and print the Earth Craft template
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your Earth craft, including 2 arms, 2 legs, the boots, mittens, smile and heart. Choose whatever colors of construction paper that you like for this step.
Step 2: Color the World
- Turn the paper plate over to the bottom.
- Use crayons or markers to roughly color on your version of the continents and oceans of the Earth.
*You can also choose to use paint or glued on tissue paper squares for this step.
Step 3: Make the Earth Happy
- Take the cut out smile and glue it into place on your colored world.
- Adhere googly eyes or cut out and glue on paper eyes.
- Add any other details that you would like to the Earth’s happy face. We chose to give her some rosy cheeks too.
Honestly, you can totally stop at this step is you want, and it’s still an adorable craft.
Step 4: Prep the Arms and Legs
- Fold the strips that you cut for the arms and legs accordion style (optional for the arms).
- Then use your glue stick to attach the boots to the legs and the mittens to the arms.
- We also trimmed down the arms a bit so that they are about 2/3 the length of the legs. This seemed to work better when assembling the final craft.
Step 5: Assemble Your World Craft
- Turn the plate over and glue the legs to the bottom of your Earth craft.
- Next, attach the arms, angled down slightly, using your glue stick.
Step 6: Add the Love
- As a final touch, bring the hands to the front of your Earth craft and glue each to a side of the cut out heart so that she appears to be holding it.
Now that you know how to make this Earth craft, put your own spin on it. Maybe instead of typical green and blue, your earth is neon colors or covered in rainbows. Or maybe he has a word bubble that comes out of his mouth to remind us to take care of the Earth. What I’ve given you here is a starting place. Make it your own.