Flying Dragonfly Craft (FREE Printable)
This dragonfly craft is so fun and simple to make. Decorate it any way that you like. Then we’ll add it to a clothespin and make it flap its wings. The free craft template also includes printables for you to make a butterfly craft and a bee craft. You’re going to want to make all three.
And if you like making this insect craft, you’re also going to love making this collection of bug crafts, this spider craft or this newspaper ladybug craft.
Who knew that bugs could be so darn cute? You’re going to want to make every single one of the cool paper plate bug crafts in this special collection…
Fun Facts about Dragonflies
- Modern day dragonflies have wingspans of about 2 to 5 inches, but fossilized dragonflies may have had wingspans of up to 2 feet.
- There are more than more than 5,000 species.
- In the larval stage, they live in the water for up to 2 years and eat just about anything, from mosquitos to tadpoles and more.
- Adult dragonflies may live up to a few weeks to a full year.
- They have incredible vision, able to see in almost every direction.
To learn more about dragonflies, check out this article from Twinkl.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Markers or crayons
- Glue stick
- Dragonfly craft printable
We do things a little differently around here…instead of choosing a craft and then having to run to the store to gather everything on the supply list for that one project, we have a master list of basic craft supplies that we stick to for every single one of the creative projects you see here and in the shop. Once you fill your bag once, you’re ready to craft away! That way you can get right to the good stuff…making fun things with your kids.
Save this Bug Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Dragonfly Craft
Step 1: Use the Insect Craft Template
- Download and print the bug craft template onto regular printer paper.
- Choose what bug you would like to make (I’m making the dragonfly) and coloring it with your markers or crayons.
If you don’t have access to a printer, no worries. Simply draw your dragonfly (or other flying insect) onto a piece of construction paper and color it however you like. The bug should be about 4 to 5 inches across the wingspan.
Step 2: Begin Assembly
- Cut out your bug.
- Then use your glue stick to attach it to the top of a clothespin, with the wings placed over the front section of the clothespin (where it opens).
- Press firmly and give the glue a minute to set up.
Step 3: Finish Your Dragonfly Craft
- From your scraps of paper, cut a thin strip of paper, about 1/2 wide by 3 inches long.
- With the cut out bug facing down on the tabletop, glue the center of the paper strip to the top of your clothespin over where the wings are located.
- Then glue each of the ends down to the wings of the dragonfly. Be sure to keep your dragonfly flat during this entire process.
- Again, press firmly and give the glue a minute to grab hold.
Step 4: Make Your Bug Fly
- Make your dragonfly fly by squeezing the clothespin open. Each time you squeeze, the wings will flap.
Now that you’ve made the dragonfly craft, you’re also going to make the butterfly craft and bee craft that are part of the free printable. And don’t stop there. Keep on crafting and making lots of flying bug crafts. They’re so much fun!
You can also choose to add other special details to your clothespin bug crafts…like pompoms for the body or washi tape. Or maybe you want to get out the paints and do some squish painting or squeegy painting.