Sharks are amazing creatures, truly majestic in so many ways. Though, I don’t know many people who would like to meet them face to face. But this paper shark craft lets you get up and personal in a super fun way. We used basic gray paper, but please take some liberties and mix it up as much as you want. Maybe you want to have a 3-toned shark that’s orange, purple and yellow. Honestly, the only limit is your imagination. I can’t wait to see what you make!
Save this Shark Craft for Kids for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
Fun Facts about Sharks
- Female sharks have thicker skin.
- There are more than 500 species of sharks.
- Some sharks have funny names, like goblin, megamouth and Brazilian guitarfish.
- Sharks existed during when dinosaurs were still alive.
- Humans kill more sharks than sharks kill people.
If you’d like to know even more interesting facts about sharks, check out this article by Best Life.
If you really want to learn more about sharks (or just want to have a little fun), here are some great books for your kiddos to enjoy:
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Gray construction paper
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes
- Shark craft template
This craft, like every creation on this site, sticks to the same master list of basic supplies that all fit into one bag. You might think that limiting ourselves to just 27 items would reduce creativity, but it actually does the opposite. It really frees you up to make things without distractions. And…it makes crafting with your kids actually do-able, even when life is hectic. Because once you fill your bag, you’re all set to go. No more extra prep.
Even better, we’ve now created a collection of 100 printable kids’ craft flashcard sets that you can put on a key ring and attach to your craft bag…ideas at your fingertips!
Paper Shark Craft Instructions
Step 1: Use the Printable Shark Craft Template
- Use the printable shark craft template to create the head and tail of your shark.
- Cut it out from gray construction paper.
*If you do not have access to a printer, simply draw the head and tail free-hand and cut them out.
Step 2: Cut Out the Fins
- Next use the printable template to cut out 2 identical side fins from gray construction paper.
- Fold a piece of gray construction paper in half and cut out the dorsal fin of your shark.
- Fold tabs out on the bottom of the fin.
Step 3: Cut Out the Shark Body
- Get out a piece of gray construction paper.
- Use a pencil to marker the width of the head and tail on either end of the paper.
- Then draw a line on both sides connecting the marks.
- Cut on the line to form the body of your paper shark craft.
Step 4: Accordion Fold
- Fold the body section into an accordion.
- To get the sections even, fold it in half first and then work out from there.
- The accordion fold sections should be about 1″ wide.
Step 5: Put the Shark Craft Activity Together
- Use a glue stick to attach the cut out head to the body of your shark craft.
- Then attach the tail.
- Press firmly to be sure the glue takes hold.
Step 6: Add the Fins
- On the first folded section of the shark’s body, attach the cut out side fins.
- Take your cut out dorsal fin and put glue in the middle, leaving the tabs unglued for the moment.
- Then, place glue on the tabs at the bottom of the dorsal fin and put it in place on the back of your shark’s head.
Step 7: Finish the Details of Your Shark Craft
- Place the googly eyes on your shark art and craft.
- Use markers to add details to your paper shark craft. Be sure to add the gills.
Ocean animal crafts are a good idea any time of the year. And why stop at this fun shark craft? Give him some friends with these sea animal craft ideas:
or something a little more “comical” like these baby shark paper bag puppets.
Here’s Another Shark Craft You’re Going to Love
More Paper Crafts for Kids to Make
We love paper crafts so much. You can check out this article for 100 paper craft ideas.
- Armadillo Craft
- Crocodile Craft
- Woodland Animal Crafts
- Elephant Craft
- Lion Craft
- Paper Chain Boredom Buster
- Paper Hammerhead Shark Craft
- Ice Cream Sundae Craft
- Shapes Art and Craft
- Bumblebee Craft
- Paper Possum Craft
- Paper Mouse Craft
- Simple Paper Flowers
- Paper Hedgehog Craft
- Life-Sized Sunflower