It’s time to make a bookmark! But not just any bookmark…these cute animal bookmarks come with a printable template which gives you a choice of 5 different animals. Add a construction paper “fan”, a popsicle stick, some washi tape, and these will make such great little DIY bookmarks. You are not going to want to stop at just one. Give them as gifts (looking for a great teacher gift?) or use them as puppets and put on a show. Just have fun with it!
Save how to make a bookmark for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Large popsicle stick
- Washi tape (design of your choice)
- Construction paper (colors of your choice for fan and animal)
- Glue stick
- Elmer’s glue
- Stapler with staples
- Animal bookmarks printable template
And here is a bit of good news…if you have used our master list of basic craft supplies to fill your craft bag, you already have everything that you need to make this craft. Not only that, you have everything you need to make the hundreds of crafts you will find on this website. Seriously…you are ready to spend as much time as you can find creating things with your family without any extra prep. No more running out to the store or spending time getting ready to craft together (which then never happens because…who has the time?). Just browse the site, pick a craft and make it. Simple!
Step 1: Accordion Fold
- Fold a piece of construction paper (whatever color you like) into thirds length-wise and cut off one of the sections.
- Take that strip of paper and fold it accordion style. Try to keep the sections as even as possible.
Step 2: Staple Your DIY Bookmarks
- Optional: Cut a point, diagonal or curve on each end of your folded accordion paper.
- Fold the paper in half so that you can find the center.
- Then put a staple right in the center as pictured.
Step 3: Make the Fan for Your DIY Bookmarks
- Spread out one side of your accordion fan and glue the ends together with your glue stick.
- Pinch it together for a minute to make sure that the glue takes hold.
- Repeat this process on the other side until you have a “flower”.
Step 4: Use the Animal Bookmarks Printable
- Print the animal bookmarks printable.
- Choose what animal you would like for the center of your animal bookmark and roughly cut it out.
- Place it on top of a scrap of construction paper (color of your choice) and cut out the animal face.
- Of course, you can always go back and use the rest to make more cute animal bookmarks.
Step 5: Decorate Your Cute Animal Bookmarks
- Use your Sharpie and other markers to add details to whatever animal you have chosen for your DIYO bookmark.
- Maybe you are making a mouse bookmark or maybe you chose to do a bunny bookmark. OR maybe you decide to draw your own animal that is not on the printable. That works too 🙂
Step 6: Put Together Your Animal Bookmarks DIY
- Generously put glue on the back of your cut out and decorated animal head.
- Then place it in the middle of your folded accordion flower.
- Press down gently or even put something flat on top, like a light book, until the glue sets up.
Step 7: Washi Tape Love
- This step is optional, but I just love washi tape.
- Take your favorite washi tape and wrap it around or run it up and down the large popsicle stick, which will be the base for your animal bookmarks.
Step 8: Finish Off Your DIY Animal Bookmarks
- Now it’s time to put it all together.
- Place a generous drop of glue on the top of the large popsicle stick.
- Then gently put your animal decoration on top of the glue.
- Let it sit until the glue dries. This will take some time, maybe even overnight. So, please be patient. If you pick it up too soon you will just need to start this step over again.
Save these DIY Bookmarks for later. Pin to your favorite Pinterest board…
Now that you know how to make animal bookmarks, what will you do with them? Pick your favorite book and start reading. Or maybe you want to use these to tell a story instead. Make your animal bookmarks and write a story for them to star in. We have 5 animals in the printable template, but this is just a start. I’m sure that you can draw lots of animals. Now you know how to make them into cute DIY bookmarks!. The only limit is your imagination.