This paper plate taco is not your typical craft. It becomes a fun DIY musical instrument that you can shake along to your favorite song. Plus, who doesn’t love a taco. Make this simple craft on your next Taco Tuesday or any night of the week. We painted ours, but you can also make this with just markers or crayons instead to minimize the mess.
And if you like this taco craft, you’re going to also love making these other food crafts…like this popsicle stick play food, this watermelon craft, this pizza pouch and these peas in a pod. Also check out these taco crafts from my friend at Artsy Crafts Mom and Crafting Jeannie.
Our Read & Craft Collection includes 13 crafts inspired by classic kids stories, including “Dragons Love Tacos”
Fun Facts about Tacos
- Taco places date all the way back to the 19th century.
- There are more than 20,000 taco recipes.
- No one is sure who invented the taco, but they likely date back to the Aztecs.
- National Taco Day in the United States is October 4.
- Americans eat more than 4.5 billion tacos every year.
For more interesting facts about tacos, check out this article from Buzz 4 Fun.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper Plate (9-inch coated)
- Paint (for the taco shell)
- Pony Beads
- Scraps of Construction Paper
- Stapler with Staples
- Glue Stick
- Green Tissue Paper Squares
This simple craft takes just a few basic supplies, and they’re all on the master list that we use for every single craft you see on this site and in our shop. We stick to this list to make crafting with your kids easier and way more fun…because you’re not running to the store every time you want to make something or keep a closet that eventually overflows with “junk”. One bag and you’re all set. It’s that simple.
Save this Mexico craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Paper Plate Taco Craft
Step 1: Paint the Taco Shell
- Lay down some newspaper on your crafting surface.
- Pinch a pomopm with a clothespin to form a “paint brush”.
- Place the paper plate on the newspaper, bottom side up.
- Paint it to look like a taco shell.
*If you really don’t want to bother with the mess of paint, you can use crayons or markers to color your paper plate instead.
Step 2: Make the Toppings
- From scraps of construction paper, cut out your taco fillings, like tomatoes, cheese, ground beef…whatever you like in your taco.
Step 3: Add the Ingredients to You Paper Taco Craft
- Once the paint has dried, fold your paper plate in half.
- Use your glue stick to add the taco toppings randomly all around the outside edge of one side of the plate on the inside.
- Then glue on some green tissue paper squares behind your toppings for the lettuce.
Step 4: Make It Into a DIY Muscical Instrument
- To make your taco into a musical instrument, add a small handful of pony beads onto your plate.
- Close up the taco and staple around the outside edge.
Now that you know how to make this taco craft, make more and form a band, or at least a percussion group. And if you want to, you can also give your tacos happy faces.