This black cat Halloween craft is extra special since you can actually play with it too. Plus it takes just a few basic supplies. Once finished with your black cat craft, use it as a toy, create a game (like seeing who can knock down the most witch’s cats with a paper ball) or use them as spooky Halloween decorations anywhere. Of course, you’re going to want to make more than one. Use the black cat craft template to make crafting easier.
Make more than just crafts as you craft with your kids every week…create bonds that will last a lifetime. Build a habit of crafting together…week after week.
Fun Facts about Black Cats
- Many black cats have golden eyes.
- In many Asian countries black cats are considered good luck and may even bring you wealth.
- There are more boy black cats than there are girls.
- In some instances, a black cat’s fur can turn to a rusty brown color with exposure to the sun.
- There is a national day of celebration for black cats held on October 27th.
- You may already know that there are lots of superstitions about black cats. To learn more about these you can check out this article by the Spruce Pets.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper lunch bag
- Black Sharpie marker
- Googly eyes (or printable paper eyes)
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Stapler with staples
- Black cat craft template
We love using paper lunch bags to create insteresting crafts for kids. It’s one of the items that we always keep in our bag and is part of the master list of craft supplies that we use for every single creative project that we make. We never stray from the list so that once you fill your bag, you’re ready to go. Just fill your bag and craft along. So easy!!!
Combine Reading with Crafting
The absolute best way to elevate the crafting experience is to combine it with reading a good book. It’s the best way to expand the imagination. Here are some of our favorite Halloween books featuring black cats.
This one’s a sticker book with over 30 Halloween stickers included 🙂
Not exactly about a “black” cat but still a fun Halloween read for kids.
Save this Halloween Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Black Cat Halloween Craft
Step 1: Draw the Body
- Fold down the top 3″ or so of a paper lunch bag.
- On the front, use a pencil to draw the body and legs of your cat.
- Then go back and fill in the area using a black Sharpie marker. *If you don’t have a black Sharpie, just use a black crayon or other black marker instead.
Step 2: Use the Black Cat Craft Template
- Download and print the black cat craft template.
- Use it to cut the head and tail from black construction paper.
*If you do not have access to a printer, simply draw the cats head and tail. It’s easiest if you use a white crayon so that you can see your lines on the black paper.
Step 3: Attach the Cat’s Head
- With the top of the bag still folded down, glue the head of your black cat in place using your glue stick.
- Then place the googly eyes (or printable paper eyes).
- Cut a small nose from a scrap of construction paper in whatever color you like. To make the nose, just cut a triangle and round out the corners.
- Glue the nose in place also.
Step 4: Stuff Your Black Cat Craft
- Tear strips of newspaper and crumple them into balls.
- Open up your paper lunch bag and place the balls of newspaper into the opening one at a time.
- Keep adding newspaper to your cat craft until the bag is filled but not over-stuffed.
Step 5: Add the Tail
- Roll the top of the the paper bag back down and secure it with a staple or two on each side in the back.
- Finally, use your glue stick to attach the tail of your black cat craft.
Step 6: Give Your Witch’s Cat Craft More Details
- Now it’s time to add any finishing touches that you would like.
- Use scraps of construction paper, washi tape, pompoms or anything that you happen to have on hand to customize your Halloween craft. As you can see, we gave our black cat a little witch’s hat.
Now that you know how to make this black cat Halloween craft, it’s time to really make it your own. Even though black cats may all look the same at first glance, they are actually very different. And you can make yours unique by giving it those special touches, like a unique collar, rosy cheeks, a hat (like we did), ribbons, or whatever your imagination can think of. I can’t wait to see what you make!!!
I think next we need to make this black cat a witch companion. Stay tuned!