Manatee Craft for Kids (with FREE Template)
This manatee craft is so fun and simple to make. Have you ever seen a manatee up close? They are fascinating. Such sweet animals that really just look like big potatoes with a tail floating peacefully in the water. Read on to learn some interesting facts about these unique sea creatures.
And if you like making this narwhal craft, you’re also going to love making this dolphin craft, these popsicle stick sea animals, this shell craft and this oyster with a pearl craft.
Your Kids are Going to Absolutely LOVE This Collection of Under the Sea Animals Paper Plate Crafts…
Fun Facts about Manatees
- Manatees prefer shallow waters and can move from fresh to salt water freely.
- They can grow as large as 13 feet long and weight up to 3,500lbs.
- They’re not able to breath underwater but can hold their breath for up to 20 minutes.
- Manatees are plant eaters and exist mostly on sea grass.
- They are distant relatives of elephants.
- Their nickname is sea-cow.
To learn more about how you can help protect the manatees, check out Save the Manatee Club.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Manatee craft template
I know that life is hectic, but you still want to find time to make crafts with your family (or you wouldn’t be here). So, I’ve found a way to still be creative but keep the prep and the mess to a minimum. To do this we stick to a master list of basic craft supplies that fit into one bag.
With this approach there’s no more putting off making a craft until you have just what you need…no more running to the store for that missing “ingredient”…no more closets stuffed full of craft supplies with no real plan to make anything…and, most importantly…no more glitter.
Save this Sea Animal Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Manatee Craft
Step 1: Use the Manatee Craft Template
- Download and print the manatee craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your paper manatee.
- We used a shade of gray to make our narwhal, but you can choose whatever color you like.
Step 2: Add Some Details to Your Ocean Animal Craft
- Use your markers to add details to your manatee, especially on his face. Give him eyes and nostrils.
Step 3: Accordion Fold the Body
- Take the long body part of your manatee found in template 2 and fold it into an accordion.
- Fold it in half first and then continue to fold it in halves so that the sections are even. Each section should be about 1 inch wide.
Step 4: Assemble Your Beach Craft
- Now it’s time to glue the parts of your craft together.
- Start by using your glue stick to attach the head of the manatee.
- Then add on the tail.
- Attach the fins to the sides in the front of the accordion section. Curve them slightly using a pencil or marker.
Now that you know how to make this Manatee craft, really make it your own. We kept the colors traditional for this paper ocean ocean craft, but you should make it your own with any colors and designs that you want. After all, they are known as sea cows…maybe yours will be white with black spots. So, keep it fun and use your imagination.
Comments are closed.