Orca Craft (with FREE template)
This orca craft is fun and simple to make and takes just a few supplies from your craft bag. Orca whales (aka killer whales) are fascinating sea creatures that often keep us humans in awe of their intelligence and abilities. But they aren’t called “killer” whales for nothing. These majesty animals are truly fierce. Read on for some truly interesting facts about orcas.
And if you like making this narwhal craft, you’re also going to love making this dolphin craft, these popsicle stick sea animals, this shell craft and this oyster with a pearl craft.
Your Kids are Going to Absolutely LOVE This Collection of Under the Sea Animals Paper Plate Crafts…
Fun Facts about Orcas
- Though we call them whales, orcas are actually part of the dolphin family.
- Orcas eat almost any living thing in the ocean, including sharks. They really are at the top of the food chain.
- They can live 60 years or more and have complex communities.
- Orcas communicate with distinctive calls and whistles.
- Sons often stay with their mothers their entire lives.
- Killer whales have the second heaviest brain of all ocean mammals.
- They cannot smell and sleep with one eye open.
For even more interesting facts about killer whales, check out this article from National Geographic Kids.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper (black and white)
- Glue stick
- Orca craft template
I know that life is hectic, but you still want to find time to make crafts with your family (or you wouldn’t be here). So, I’ve found a way to still be creative but keep the prep and the mess to a minimum. To do this we stick to a master list of basic craft supplies that fit into one bag.
With this approach there’s no more putting off making a craft until you have just what you need…no more running to the store for that missing “ingredient”…no more closets stuffed full of craft supplies with no real plan to make anything…and, most importantly…no more glitter.
Save this Sea Animal Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make an Orca Craft
Step 1: Use the Orca Craft Template
- Download and print the orca craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your paper orca.
- We used the traditional black and white colors, but you can choose whatever colors you like.
Step 2: Add the Spots to Your Whale Craft
- Place the white spots onto the cut out parts of your whale craft.
- Spot 1 goes on top of where the whale’s eye is.
- Spot 2 should be placed on the bottom front half of the body of the whale. Let the spot hang over the edge and trim away the excess.
- Spot 3 should be placed vertically on the bottom and front of the tail section of your craft. Again, let it hang over the edge and trim away the excess.
Step 3: Accordion Fold the Body
- Take the long body part of your orca on which you placed his #2 white spot and accordion fold it.
- Fold it in half first and then continue to fold it in halves so that the sections are even. Each section should be about 1 inch wide.
Step 4: Assemble Your Beach Craft
- Now it’s time to glue the parts of your craft together.
- Start by using your glue stick to attach the head of the whale.
- Then add on the tail.
- Glue the dorsal fin in place on the top of your orca’s head toward the back.
- Attach a fin to the side in the front of the accordion section.
Now that you know how to make this Killer Whale craft, really make it your own. We kept the colors traditional for this paper ocean ocean craft, but you should make it your own with any colors and designs that you want. The only limit is your imagination.