This simple little paper football craft is perfect for kids of any age. And the fun part is that you can fill them with snacks, just use them as a game time decoration or create a noise maker to cheer for your favorite team. Keep reading to find out how.
If you like this paper football craft, you’re going to love making this sports penant and “foam” finger, lacing footballs and paper bag football player puppet. And be sure to download the free football coloring pages.
Crafting with your kids could not be simpler…or more fun! when using craft flashcards. Get 100 sets today.
Fun Facts about American Football
- Football was born from a combination of soccer and rugby.
- A typical field is 360×160 feet.
- College and professional games last 60 minutes, divided into 4 quarters.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have the most Super Bowl wins with six.
- The longest college football game took place in 2003, between Kentucky and Arkansas…lasting just short of 4 hours with 7 overtime periods.
- Emmitt Smith gained more yards than any player in history, with more than 18,000 yards over 15 years.
For more interesting facts about American Football, check out this article from Mom Junction.
Combine Reading with Crafting
One of the best ways that I can think of to elevate the crafting experience is to combine it with reading a good book. Here are some of our favorite football themed books for kids.
And a couple of fun football toys…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Whatever you want to put inside
I love a craft with a short supply list…But it really doesn’t matter how long the list is when you’re crafting here. You’ll always have everything that you need already on hand (no extra trips to the store) if you’ve filled your bag using our master list of craft supplies that we stick to for every single creative project that we make. It’s so easy and makes crafting with your kids way more fun.
Save this Football Game Snack Idea for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Paper Football Craft
Step 1: Cut the Football Shape
- Choose a color of construction paper for your paper football craft.
- Cut the piece of paper in half.
- Layer the 2 halves together and fold in half lengthwise.
- Then cut a half curve to form the shape of your football. This will give you 2 identical football shapes.
Step 2: Decorate Your Easy Football Craft
- Use markers or crayons to decorate your football (front and back).
*You can also use paints for this step. Just give it some time to dry before moving onto step 3.
Step 3: Add the Filling
- The footballs are already folded in half length-wise. Now also fold them in half the other direction. This will help create a pocket for the filling.
- Place glue around the bottom edge of the back football and sandwich the front football in place. Press firmly and give the glue a minute to set up.
- Choose what you would like to fill your football. This can be a snack of your choice (nothing too oily), some crumpled up newspaper to just make your football a little bit puffy and 3D to use as a decoration or some pony beads so that when you shake your football it’s a noise maker.
- Then add the filling but be sure not to overstuff the football.
- Last, put glue along the top inside edge to close up the football pouch. Again, press firmly. (See alternate closure below).
Alternate Football Craft Closure
For this alternate closure option, you’ll need a hole punch and white yarn from your craft bag.
Instead of glue, you can lace around the edges to close up your football craft. Simply use a hole punch to make holes all around the outside, keeping them close together. Then take a piece of yarn about 1 yard long and lace it through the holes. Tie off the end. Stop half way around and put in the filling. Then close it up the rest of the way. Tie off the other end when finished and trim away excess yarn.
Now that you know how to make this easy football craft, don’t stop at just one. Make a bunch, fill them with snacks and put them in a bowl as special snacks for your Superbowl party or next big game. Or do that same with them made up as noise makers and pass them out so that everyone can cheer for their favorite team.