“Hey Diddle Diddle! The Cat and the Fiddle and the Cow jumped over the moon!” There are very few things in this world that EVERYONE knows from heart, but we all learned this as a child. It is somehow comforting to find something that the whole world has in common. And that is why I know you are going to love this nursery rhyme craft! When you see the cow jumping over the moon, you can’t help but smile.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 9-inch Paper plate (coated)
- Large pompom
- Gray, white and black paint
- 3 Pipe cleaners
- Black construction paper
- Glue stick
- White paper
- Optional: Washi tape (in yellow or gold print)
This craft is being made from the MASTER LIST of supplies that we make ALL of our project from here at inthebagkidscrafts.com. Seriously…this will totally take the stress out of how you craft with your kids! Fill up your bag today using our list and you will be ready to create with your family any time the opportunity presents itself…
Step 1: Make the Moon
- Use adult scissors to make 3 holes in your plate. (This is a job for a grown up please!) These are the spots where your pipe cleaners will go later for the jumping cow and stars. I placed one in the center front half of the plate for the cow and 2 in the back half for the stars. You can choose where you want your characters and punch the holes accordingly.
- Place your plate on the newspaper, with the bottom of the plate up
- Then, pinch the pompom with the clothespin to form a “paint brush”
- Squeeze out some gray paint, along with a dot or two of white and black. But do not mix the colors together.
- Now tap your pompom paint brush into the paint and stamp it onto your plate. You should see little bits of black and white on the gray moon as you paint.
*If you would prefer, you can make your moon white, purple, light blue or yellow…or whatever color you imagine your moon to be.
Step 2: Make the Cow
- Try drawing a jumping cow and 2-3 stars on a white piece of paper. It does not have to be perfect. I drew the jumping cow pictured here, and I am no artist. So, give it a try. I would love to see your cow drawing!
- OR print out the template below
- Now, color your cow, cut it out and matte it on the black construction paper.
- Use the glue stick to adhere it to the black construction paper
- Cut out around the figure
- Color the stars with your markers. OR (optional) Place pieces of yellow or gold washi tape over the stars prior to cutting them out.
- Finally, matte the stars onto the black paper also, using the same technique as above.
Step 3: Put it All Together
- First, wrap each of the pipe cleaners around a pencil to form a coil.
- Then, place each pipe cleaner through a hole, twist the end under the plate and secure it with a piece of tape.
- Last, Tape the cow and stars individually onto each of the pipe cleaners.