This paper plate chicken craft is made extra special by its flapping wings. Wait until you see the simple trick in step 4 to make them flap by just pulling a string. This hen craft idea can be adapted to suit your own personality. Maybe your chicken is rainbow colored or has a crazy hair-do or wears a sweater vest…this is your project. Make it your own and use your imagination!
Save this Hen Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 2 Paper plates (9-inch coated)
- Single hole punch
- White yarn
- 2 Metal brads
- Scraps of red and yellow construction paper
- Glue stick
- 2 Small googly eyes (self-adhesive are best)
- Chicken Craft Template
You already have everything that you need to make this sweet little hen craft if you have used our master list of craft supplies to fill your bag. It’s just a list of 27 basic supplies that are versatile, inexpensive and lead to tons of creativity. If you haven’t already, fill your bag so that you are ready to make every single craft on this site any time you find yourself with a little free time to spend with the family…screen free and super fun!
How to Make a Paper Plate Chicken Craft
Step 1: Use the Chicken Craft Template
- Use the mother hen template to shape one of the paper plates.
- Cut the second paper plate in half and use the printable chicken craft template to make the wings.
- Punch the holes where the template indicates.
Step 2: Add Details to Your Hen Craft
- Fold a small scrap of yellow construction paper in half and cut a small triangle for the chicken’s beak.
- Then use the printable template to make the chicken’s details out of red construction paper.
- Glue these pieces onto your paper plate chicken craft using the glue stick as picture.
- Last, place the small googly eyes.
Step 3: Now for the Wings
- Attach the wings using a metal brad. I chose white ones, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Be sure to place the brad through the bottom hole on each of the wings.
- Squeeze the brads closed loosely so that the wings can move freely.
Step 4: Make the Wings Flap
- Finally, we are going to create the mechanism to make the wings flap.
- First, cut a piece of yarn and tie the ends in the holes on the wings. Trim away any excess yarn.
- Last, tie a longer piece of yarn to the center of the other piece of yarn. This is your pull string to make the wings flap up and down.
How to turn this hen into a Mother’s Day Craft
With just one little addition, this paper plate chicken craft turns into a sweet homemade Mother’s Day card or gift. Use your Sharpie marker to write a message on the front of the hen. Check out how we did it…
Check Out This Sheep Craft Video Tutorial
Enjoy Making Even More Farm Animal Crafts
- Popsicle Stick Farm Animals
- Newspaper Sheep Craft
- Paper Plate Pig
- Paper Plate Cow
- Paper Plate Sheep
- Fluffy Sheep Craft
- Wiggly Ear Sheep Craft
- Horse Craft
- Painted Sheep Craft
- Paper Plate Sheep Craft