It’s summertime here in Western Pennsylvania, and the sun is finally out! So, today we are making a handy and decorative sun visor, a fun summertime kids’ craft. This is one of those crafts that require little direction but lots of imagination. Every single one should look entirely different, allowing your unique personality to shine!
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 2 Paper plates
- Stapler with staples
- The rest of the stuff from your bag (yep, all of it!)
Be sure to fill you bag using the list HERE so that you can complete this craft and EVERY OTHER CRAFT ON THIS BLOG! Yep, you are not reading that wrong. A finite and inexpensive list of 29 basic craft supplies is all you need to make all of the yummy creative projects on this site. I can’t wait to craft with you!
- Draw the pattern on the paper plate
- Cut the center away as pictured
- Fold the center piece up for the top of the visor
- For older children with larger heads, make the inside opening larger by cutting away more of the semi-circle
- Cut second plate in half
- Trim off the sides as pictured to form the visor part of the hat
- Staple the visor to front of the hat
- Secure with at least 2 staples, one on each side
For preschoolers and toddlers (or children who are still working on developing their scissor skills), precut and assemble the visor. Then encourage them to paint, color, place beads, pompoms and tissue paper, etc. until their little hearts are content. This is a great way to work on fine motor skills, as well as motor planning. To learn more about motor planning and get another fun activity to practice, check out THIS post.
- Decorate the sun visor with whatever you want from any of the items “in the bag”
- Just use your imagination and make it your own. There is no wrong way to do this! Yours should not look like anyone else’s.
Share your amazing summertime creations by sending me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org I would love to include it in the gallery (with credit given, of course). And if you are enjoying this craft (and others on this blog), please pin away! Thanks in advance!