Snowman Craft for Kids
This simple snowman craft for kids is made extra special with a DIY yarn pompom. Stick around, and we’ll show you how to make a simple pompom so that your snowman will look like a big snowball. Use the free printable snowman craft template to make crafting with your kids even easier.
And if you like this snowman craft, you’re going to love making this snowman mobile, this snowman paper plate pouch and this paper bag snowman. Winter craftsk are so much fun to make while you’re stuck indoors, the cold wind blowing outside.
Nourish Your Relationship with Your Kids as You Craft Together all Year Long…
Fun Facts about Snowmen
- The famous artist, Michelangelo Buonarroti, was known to have created a beautiful snowman, but there is no record as to exactly what it looked like.
- Building a snowman takes a lot of energy and can burn around 238 calories.
- The town of Sapparo, Japan holds the world record for most snowmen, making 12,379 in 2003, which outnumbered the amount of people in the town.
- Maine hosted the world’s largest snow woman, measuring 122 feet tall and using 13 million pounds of snow. They named her Olypmia.
For more interesting facts about snowmen, check out this article by Kiddle.
Combine Reading with Crafting
The best way that I can think of to elevate the crafting experience is to combine it with reading a good book. Here are some of our favorite snowman themed books for kids…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper plate
- Glue stick
- White yarn
- Scotch tape
- Brown pipe cleaner
- Construction paper scraps
- Washi tape
- Snowman craft template
Crafting with your kids will bring so much joy to your lives, but I know that it’s not always at the top of the list…life is busy! So, we keep things simple here by sticking to a master list of basic craft supplies that we use to make EVERY CRAFT that you see here and in our shop. This means that once you fill your bag, you’re ready to choose from hundreds of crafts and hit the ground running…no more prep or running to the store to get that missing “ingredient”. Fill your bag and craft along!
Save this Yarn Craft for Kids for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Snowman Craft for Kids
Step 1: Use the Snowman Craft Template
- Download and print the snowman craft template. ONto cardstock is best if you have it. If not, you may want to print the snowman on paper and then use it as a template to cut it from a paper plate.
- Cut the slits in the sides of your snowman template.
*If you do not have access to a printer, draw your own snowman (just head and one snowball body) onto a paper plate and cut it out.
Step 2: Decorate Your Snowman Craft
- Decorate your snowman any way that you want. We pulled out scraps of paper, washi tape (for the scarf) and markers to bring the snowman to life.
- Draw on his eyes and mouth using your markers.
*This looks best when you have the clean side up, with the printed or drawn outline of your snowman to the back of the project.
Step 3 (Optional): Add the Arms
- Take a brown pipe cleaner and cut off 2 pieces that about 1″ long each.
- Twist one of the little pieces around the longer pipe cleaner piece to form a branch hand for your snowman.
- Repeat this on the other end of the long pipe cleaner piece.
- Form the pipe cleaner into a V and tape it to the back of your snowman to form his arms.
Step 4: Make Pom Pom
- Fold a paper plate in half and trim off the sides until you have a rectangle approximately 5″ across..
- Cut a small slit in the middle. Now you have a pompom maker template.
- Wrap the white yarn around and around your pompom maker until it is nice and fluffy.
- Cut a piece of yarn about 12″ long. Then lace it through the slit and tie it around the bundle of yarn. Pull it as tight as you can without breaking anything.
- Tie a double knot.
Step 5: Trim It Up
- Slide the wrapped yarn off of the pompom template.
- Then trim it into a round fluffy pompom as pictured.
Step 6: Put It Together
- Use the long piece of yarn that you left on your pompom to attach the yarn ball to the bellow of your snowman by slipping each side through a notch.
- Tie off the the string in the back and trim away excess yarn.
Now that you know how to make this easy snowman craft, don’t stop at just one. Make several, giving them their own unique personalities. Then you can put on a play or puppet show using your creations. To make them into a puppet even more, you can add a popsicle stick as a handle. Just tape it in place on the back.