Easy Bee Craft for Kids
This paper bee craft is perfect for preschoolers, kindergarteners, or really any kiddo who just wants to make a fun and simple craft. Once it goes together, it’s a great opportunity to teach about the importance of bees for our world and all the good that they do. Crafting has so many benefits. Not only is great to get the imagination in gear, but it can also create openings for life lessons like this one. Save the bees! They do so much for us.
Save this bee craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
Fun Facts About Bees
- The honey bee is the only insect that produces a food eaten by humans.
- Honey is 80% sugar and 20% water.
- Honey bees fly at about 15 mph.
- Bees visit about 50 to 100 flowers during one collection trip.
- The queen bee lives for about 2 to 3 years and mates with about 17 drones over a 1 to 2 day of mating.
To learn even more about bees, check out this article by Super Simple.
Here are some of our favorite books about bees…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Black and yellow construction paper
- Glue stick
- Single hole punch
- Black metal brad
- Bee craft template
Before we go any farther, I want to let you in on a little “secret”…the supplies list above are part of a bigger master list that we use for every single creative project here at “In the Bag Kids’ Crafts”. The list is made up of 27 carefully curated items that are inexpensive, versatile and invoke creativity. And, even better, they all fit into one bag. That way you can grab your bag and craft with your kids any time, anywhere with no extra prep. Just pick from one of our hundreds of crafts here on the site, and you are guaranteed to have everything that you need to create together.
How to Make a Bee Craft
Step 1: Use the Bee Craft Template
- Fold a piece of black construction paper in half.
- Print the bee craft template and cut out the shape.
- Then place the folded paper, with the fold lined up with the top of the bee.
- Cut out your paper bee craft.
*If you do not have access to a printer, no worries. Just draw a large oval on your paper and add a triangle stinger to the back end of your bee. Simple.
Step 2: Cut the Stripes
- From the yellow construction paper, cut strips of paper approximately 1″ wide.
- You will need about 6 yellow strips of paper. Don’t worry about the length right now.
Step 3: Add Some Bee Stripes
- On one side of your bumble bee craft, glue three strips of the yellow paper in place, spacing them out evenly for the bee strips.
- Then turn the paper bee craft over and glue yellow strips in place on the back in the same place.
Step 4: Trim Away Excess
- Trim away the excess length of the yellow strips.
- Then use your single hole punch to place a hole under the fold on your bee.
- Use that hole as a starting point for a small slit that you will cut, approximately 1″ across. This should be in the middle of the bee’s back where the wings will go.
Step 5: Prepare the Bee Craft Wings
- Cut a section of news print that is about one page wide and about 3/4 of the height of the paper. *Stay away from parts of the paper with lots of pictures and/or color. Plain black and white print works best.
- Accordion fold the newspaper.
- Then fold it in half and round the ends. You may trim the paper down more if you don’t like the length of the wings once they are in place.
Step 6: Put Together the Bumble Bee Craft
- Slide your accordion folded newspaper through the slot the you created. Now your bee has wings.
- As a finishing touch, pierce the paper with the black metal brad to place the bee’s eye. Separate the brad in the back to secure it in place.
Now that you know how to make a bee craft, what are you going to do with it? This paper bee craft rocks, like it is hovering and buzzing around. And not all bees are the same. Yours can look different than mine…that is okay…really! This is your craft, and you should make it your own. Enjoy the process and maybe you can make your bee some flowers like these so that they have something to pollinate.
More Paper Crafts for Kids to Try
We love paper crafts so much. You can check out this article for 100 paper craft ideas.
- Armadillo Craft
- Crocodile Craft
- Woodland Animal Crafts
- Elephant Craft
- Lion Craft
- Paper Chain Boredom Buster
- Paper Hammerhead Shark Craft
- Ice Cream Sundae Craft
- Shapes Art and Craft
- Paper Possum Craft
- Paper Shark Craft
- Paper Mouse Craft
- Simple Paper Flowers
- Paper Hedgehog Craft
- Life-Sized Sunflower