This paper bag football puppet turns your favorite player into an interactive craft. You can use the free craft template as a starting point. Then use your favorite team colors and add whatever details you like to really make it your own. Of course, you’re going to make more than one so that you can put on a puppet show with the entire team.
When my oldest son was a preschooler, he had imaginary friends. But these weren’t just made up anybodies. Instead, he chose his favorite sports characters from across different sports (especially football) to be his friends. There were times when they were life-sized or bigger and other times when they could fit in the palm of your hand. It was adorable. His football puppet at that time would probably have been Drew Bledsoe (from the Patriots before the GOAT), Big Ben or Chris Fuamatu-Ma’afala (both from the Steelers).
Crafting with your kids could not be simpler…or more fun! when using craft flashcards. Get 100 sets today.
Fun Facts about American Football Players
- Reggie Bush and Alex Smith were high school teammates.
- Tim Tebow was on MTV in high school.
- Odell Beckham Jr’s mom was a standout track athlete and his father played running back at Louisanna State University.
- Nick Fole’s parents are millionaires.
- Robin Griffin III has a sock collection.
- Joe Montana’s nickname is “Joe Cool”.
Check out more interesting facts about current NFL players in this article from Bleacher Report.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper lunch bag
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes (or printable paper eyes)
- Football player puppet craft template
Do you wish that you could find more time to craft with your kids? Well…we have the solution. Prep once by using our master list of craft supplies to fill your bag, and you’re ready to make everything that you see here. It could not be simpler.
Save this Football Craft for Kids for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Paper Bag Football Puppet
Step 1: Use the Football Craft Template
- Print the free football craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your football puppet from whatever colors of construction paper you like.
Step 2: Start the Assembling
- Take your paper lunch bag and start by gluing on the rectangle for the body of the football player.
- Then add the head, helmet, arms, hands and circle emblem for the front of the football jersey.
- *Don’t glue the hands down yet so that you can have him holding things (like a football) in step 4.
Step 3: Add some Details
- Use your markers to decorate the parts of the football player.
- Draw on your player’s face and add googly eyes or printable paper eyes.
Step 4: Finish Off Your Football Craft
- Finish off your football player puppet by adding the face mask to the helmet.
- We also gave him a football to hold (or something else if you prefer).
Now that you know how to make this football puppet, don’t stop at just one. He needs some teammates and maybe some oponents to play too. Then put on a puppet show.