What’s cuter than a chipmunk with cheeks full of nuts? Seriously. And we just had to make a craft out of it. So, we decided to make this chipmunk craft with a little extra something…recycled newspaper details. Not only does it elevate this basic craft, but tearing the newspaper is also a great way for kids to work on developmental hand skills like bilateral coordination.
Save this Newspaper Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
In my opinion, the one thing that makes a craft even better is combining it with a good book. Check out our favorite woodland animal books for kids:
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper
- Brown paint
- Medium pompom
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes
- Paper plate
- Chipmunk craft template
Have you been trying to find more time to craft with your kids, but the days just seem to get away from you? I totally get it! So, we have a solution. Just fill your kids’ craft bag (yes, just one bag is all you need) using our master list of supplies, and you will be ready to create any of the hundreds of crafts on this site without any additional prep. It’s that easy!
Chipmunk Craft Instructions
Step 1: Paint
- Choose a color of construction paper for the background of your chipmunk art.
- Pinch the pompom with a clothespin to form a “paint brush”.
- Squeeze out a bit of brown paint onto a paper plate.
- Tap paint a large circle in the middle of your construction paper for the chipmunk’s head. Then add the body, which is really just a triangle going down from the head to the bottom of your paper.
Step 2: Add the Newspaper Details
- Once the paint has dried, tear a strip of newspaper about 1″, measuring the length from the top of the head to the center of circle (where the nose will go).
- The tear 2 more strips of newspaper the same length but thinner.
- Glue all three of the newspaper strips in place as pictured.
Step 3: Use the Chipmunk Craft Template
- Print the free chipmunk craft template.
- Use the template to cut the parts of your chipmunk craft from construction paper.
Step 4: Finish Off Your Easy Chipmunk Craft
- Now that you have all of the parts of your craft cut out, use your glue stick to put them in place.
- Then add the googly eyes too.
- Finally, take your markers and add some details as you would like to your chipmunk craft.
Now that you know how to make this chipmunk craft, it’s time to make it your own. We added a bow tie and some rosy cheeks (included in the template), but you can give him/her whatever personal touches you want. Use your imagination and make it your own. Maybe your chipmunk has a mohawk and is purple and orange. It’s totally up to you!