Making your own DIY football decorations for the big game is more fun than just running to the store to grab whatever they have. Plus, you can customize them for your favorite team. This football craft mobile starts with a paper plate as the base. Then use the free printables for the parts of your decoration.
Crafting with your kids could not be simpler…or more fun! when using craft flashcards. Get 100 sets today.
Fun Facts about American Football
- Football was born from a combination of soccer and rugby.
- A typical field is 360×160 feet.
- College and professional games last 60 minutes, divided into 4 quarters.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have the most Super Bowl wins with six.
- The longest college football game took place in 2003, between Kentucky and Arkansas…lasting just short of 4 hours with 7 overtime periods.
- Emmitt Smith gained more yards than any player in history, with more than 18,000 yards over 15 years.
- For more interesting facts about American Football, check out this article from Mom Junction.
Combine Reading with Crafting
One of the best ways that I can think of to elevate the crafting experience is to combine it with reading a good book. Here are some of our favorite football themed books for kids.
And a couple of fun football toys…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper plate (9-inch coated)
- Green and white paint
- Single hole punch
- White yarn
- Markes or crayons
- Football decoration printables
You’re going to love this…if you’ve filled your kids craft bag using our master list of craft supplies, you already have everything that you’re going to need to make this fun football craft. That’s how we do it here…so that you can get right to the crafting and skip over all of that time consuming prep (which may actually keep you from even getting to the good part). What are you waiting for? Fill your bag and craft along?
Save this Superbowl DIY Decoration Idea for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a DIY Football Decoration
Step 1: Paint the Plate
- Lay out some newspaper on your crafting surface.
- Place the paper plate on the newspaper.
- Pinch a pompom with a clothespin to form your “paint brush”.
- Then paint the plate green (like a football field).
- When one side has dried, paint the other side green also.
Step 2: Use the Football Craft Printables
- While the paint is drying, print the football craft printable. It’s best if you print onto cardstock. If you don’t have cardstock, you will want to glue the pieces onto a paper plate for greater stability.
- Color whatever pictures you want to use on your football mobile using markers or crayons. We chose to use 6 pictures for our DIY football decoration. You can use more or less.
- Then cut out the pictures you have colored.
*If you do not have access to a printer, simply draw various football items onto construction paper. Color the and cut them out to use on your mobile.
Step 3: Paint on Some Details
- Once the green paint has dried, cut the paper plate into a spiral with sections about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Round off the sharp edges and fold the very center up. This will be where we place the hanger later.
- Use a q-tip and some white paint to add the yard markers to your spiral (as pictured).
- Set it aside to allow the paint a little time to dry.
Step 4: Punch the Holes
- Use your hole punch to put a hole in the top of each cut out piece.
- Then punch a hole in the center of the folded up section of your painted paper plate.
- Punch holes, spaced out equally, for each of the pieces you plan to add to your mobile.
- Also add an extra hole at the very end if you plan to add a tassel…though this is optional.
Step 5: Assemble Your Football Craft
- Cut small pieces of yarn for each of your cut out football decorations.
- Lace a piece of yarn through the hole in one of your pieces and tie it to a hole on your paper plate so that it is hanging about an inch down from the plate.
- Trim away any excess yarn after tying your knot.
- Repeat this process for each of your mobile pieces.
- Leave the end hole empty if you plan to add a tassel (see step 6 for this optional step).
- Cut a piece of yarn about 18 inches long and lace it through the top hole. Tie it together at the end to form the hanger for your DIY football decoration.
Step 6 (Optional): Make a Tassel
- To make a simple yarn tassel, you can start with a cut out square of paper plate about 5″ wide or use the palm of your hand.
- Wrap the yarn around around your hand (or square of cardboard) about 10-15 times.
- Then slide the wrapped yarn off of your hand (or cardboard)
- Cut another piece of white yarn approximately 1 yard long.
- Slide the cut piece of yarn through the center of the wrapped yarn and tie a double knot. You should be left with nice long doubled yarn that will eventually go through the center of the hearts and a hanger on the top.
- Cut one more piece of white yarn approximately 8 inches long and tie it around your bundle of yarn, just below the tied off top. Make a double knot.
- Now cut the bottom of the loops and trim to even it out.
How to Make a Tassel
Now that you know how to make this football party decoration, you may want to make several to decorate the room for your football party. Change up the items that you choose or how you paint the plate for some variation. This is your craft, and it should look how you want it. There are no rules.