This football activity for kids is the perfect learning through play activity for the little sports fan in your life. It’s a simple paper name puzzle in the shape of a puzzle. We provide the template, and you take it from there.
If you like this football craft, you’re also going to love making this football player puppet, this football decoration mobile and this lacing football. And don’t forget to download the free football coloring pages too.
Crafting with your kids could not be simpler…or more fun! when using craft flashcards. Get 100 sets today.
Fun Facts about American Football
- Football was born from a combination of soccer and rugby.
- A typical field is 360×160 feet.
- College and professional games last 60 minutes, divided into 4 quarters.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have the most Super Bowl wins with six.
- The longest college football game took place in 2003, between Kentucky and Arkansas…lasting just short of 4 hours with 7 overtime periods.
- Emmitt Smith gained more yards than any player in history, with more than 18,000 yards over 15 years.
For more interesting facts about American Football, check out this article from Mom Junction.
Combine Reading with Crafting
One of the best ways that I can think of to elevate the crafting experience is to combine it with reading a good book. Here are some of our favorite football themed books for kids.
And a couple of fun football toys…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper
- Football Craft Template
I love a short craft supply list, but what I love even more is already having everything that I need to get started without another trip to the store. And if you use our master list of supplies to fill your bag, that’s exactly what will happen. You’ll have everything that you need to make any craft on this site. What are you waiting for? Fill your bag and craft along…
Save this Sports Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to Make a Football Name Puzzle
Step 1: Use the Football Craft Template
- Choose a color of construction paper for your football name puzzle.
- Download and print your free football craft template onto the paper (or draw your own football large in the center of the paper).
- Write your child’s first name in uppercase letters largely across the football, leaving some space between each letter. Or, if your child has already learned to write his/her own name, have them write the letters.
*At this stage you can also color and decorate the football if you would like. This works best if you simply print the football template onto white cardstock or construction paper.
Step 2: Create the Football Name Puzzle
- Cut the letters of the name apart, creating various shapes.
- Now mix up the pieces and have your child assemble the football puzzle.
- When making the puzzle for the first few times, you may want to have a model of your child’s name available for them to use as a reference.
- After you have put the pieces of the name puzzle together, point to and say each of the letters out loud and then the name as a whole. You can even trace each letter (using proper letter formation) as you are saying the names to begin working on how to write the letters in the future.
Now that you know how to make this easy paper football craft, try creating name puzzles in other shapes too. Just use your imagination. Maybe you want to make a fire truck or a flower or a pumpkin. You can use this same idea to make lots of name puzzles.