This fun and easy dump truck craft starts with just a simple paper plate and turns into a toy that will keep you kids busy with imaginative play for hours. Get out the paint to decorate your paper truck craft or forgo the mess and just use crayons or markers for coloring instead. This is a great activity for boys or girls because who doesn’t enjoy building something and creating stories?
Scroll to the end to check out the full video tutorial for this dump truck craft. My friend, Asher, came by the studio to create with me. It was so much fun, and I love how our construction vehicles turned out.
It’s amazing what you can make from a basic thing like a paper plate. Give these other paper plate crafts a try too:
- Elephant with wiggly ears
- Sleeping cat
- Walrus pouch
- Paper plate turtle craft
- Pete the Cat mobile
- Laced up footballs
Save this Paper Dump Truck for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper plate (9-inch coated)
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Single hole punch
- Metal brad
- Dump Truck Craft Template
I know that you love to craft with your kids (because you’re here), but it can be challenging to find the time. The prep alone can take forever, even for simple projects. So, we want you to get right to the fun of creating things with your kids. To do that we stick to the same master list of basic craft supplies that fit into one bag. Once you gather the items and fill your bag, you’re ready to make anything that you see here or in our shop without any extra prep. Just fill your bag and craft along!
Pair this Craft with Construction Books for Kids
Dump Truck Craft Instructions
Step 1: Cut Up the Paper Plate for Your Dump Truck Pattern
- Using the picture below, cut a paper plate into pieces so that you have the body of your dump truck and the truck bed. *Note that we are working with the plate bottom side up.
- Once you have cut the paper plate apart as pictured below, set aside the 2 main pieces of the dump truck.
Step 2: Paint It
- Lay out the pieces of the dump truck on a pieces of newspaper, bottom side up.
- Choose paint colors for your dump truck craft and squeeze some out onto the newspaper.
- Pinch the pomom with a clothespin to form a “paint brush”.
- Paint the pieces of your truck and give them some time to dry while you move on to the next step.
*If you really do not want to mess with getting out the paints, then just color your truck pieces using crayons or markers instead.
Step 3: Use the Dump Truck Craft Template
- Print the dump truck template.
- Use it to cut out the pieces of your construction truck craft, including 2 wheels, 2 wheel centers, a window and the truck grill.
Step 4: Add Details to Your Dump Truck Craft
- Now that your paint has dried, use the glue stick to attach the trucks wheels, window and grill.
- Then use the markers to add details to your dump truck as desired.
Step 5: Add the Truck Bucket
- As a final step, use the hole punch to place a hole where the truck and truck bucket will be attached on the very back end of the truck.
- Attach the two pieces together using a metal brad. Put it through the hole and separate the tongs to secure it in place.
Now that you know how to make this dump truck craft, use this simple construction vehicle toy to make up stories and create a play opportunity. I think that we need to make more construction toys to go with this dump truck craft. What should we make next?