Giraffes have always been my favorite animal at the zoo, and I know that you are going to love making this giraffe craft. All you need is some paper and a few basic supplies. I remember once as a child having a giraffe put its long neck over the fence and lick something right off my hand. It was amazing! Seriously, they are impressive animals with kind eyes and such an impressive presence.
Here are some fun facts about giraffes:
- Their feet are the size of dinner plates.
- Giraffe’s are herbivores and enjoy eating leaves, fruits and flowers
- Just like human fingerprints, no two giraffe’s spots are alike.
- Giraffe’s tongues are blueish purple.
- They only need 5 to 30 minutes of sleep per day.
- The giraffe is the tallest mammal in the world.
Save this Giraffe Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Yellow construction paper (5 pieces)
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes
- Scraps of black construction paper
- Black Sharpie marker
- Giraffe craft template
You might have wondered where we got our name “In the Bag” kids’ crafts. It’s because we stick to the same bag of craft supplies for everything that we make. This bag is filled with 27 items that have been carefully curated (like a capsule wardrobe) to include items that are inexpensive, multi-purpose and all fit into one bag. So, get the list, fill your bag, and you are ready to make the hundreds of crafts that you find on this site…no extra prep needed…yay!
Read a little about Giraffes with these kids’ books:
Giraffe Craft Instructions
Step 1: Cut
- Fold one of the pieces of yellow construction paper in half length-wise
- Then cut on the fold
- Repeat this with 3 more pieces of the yellow paper.
Step 2: Connect
- Take 4 of the strips of paper that you have cut, overlap each slightly and glue them together end to end.
- Repeat this with the other 4 strips of paper.
Step 3: Decorate
- Draw on and color in some spots on your giraffe’s neck.
- Do this on each super long strip of paper.
- You can do this on both sides of the long paper strips. Though this is optional.
Step 4: Glue It
- Glue the ends of the 2 long decorated strips of paper together to form a 90 degree angle.
Step 5: Accordion Folding
- Now, fold one piece of paper over the other
- Repeat this process, folding the sides back and forth over the glued together corner.
- When you get to the ends of the strips of paper, use the glue stick again to secure the end.
- What you have is a square that extends into a kind of accordion.
Step 6: Use the Giraffe Craft Template
- Print out the giraffe craft template
- Use it to cut the face and eyelids out of yellow paper.
Step 7: Make Your Giraffe’s Face
- Now that the giraffe face has been cut out, add some details with your crayon
- Place the googly eyes in place.
- Then put on final details with the black Sharpie marker
Step 8: Those Eyes
- Cut a strip of black construction paper, glue it to the back of the eyelids you cut out earlier and trim it on the sides.
- Then snip it into little strips to form the eyelashes of your giraffe.
- Use a pencil or q-tip to curl up the eyelashes.
Step 9: Finishing Touches on Your Paper Giraffe Craft
- Use the glue stick to add the eyelids to your giraffe’s face. They should cover about the top third of the googly eyes.
- Press down firmly.
Step 10: Time to Finish Off the Giraffe Craft
- Take the 2 pieces that you have made, the accordion folded strips of paper and the head of the giraffe.
- Use the glue stick to attach the giraffe’s head to the top of the accordion.
- The accordion will then extend to form a long giraffe neck.
Now that you know how to make this giraffe craft, really make it your own. Yes, this version is traditional. But your giraffe can look however you want. Maybe it has rainbow colored spots or purple eyelashes or you choose to add more paper to the neck to make it super extra long. There is no wrong way to craft. The only limit is your imagination.
You’ll Also Love Making This Kangaroo Craft
More Animal Crafts for Kids to Make
- Llama Craft
- Kangaroo Craft
- Ocean Animal Crafts
- Skunk Craft
- Tiger Craft
- Clothespin Animals (Tiger, Unicorn and Zebra)
- Paper Bag Squirrel Craft
- Wiggly Eared Dog Craft
- Axolotl Craft Puppet
- Sleeping Deer Craft
- Paper Bag Cats
- Paper Bag Owl Crafts
- Fluffy Bunny Craft
- Clothespin Porcupine Craft