Have you ever seen that classic children’s craft of the paper lanterns? They are a super simple and fun craft for kids of any age. We are taking that idea and amping it up about a thousand notches to make these totally adorable paper animals. This collection includes a raccoon, squirrel and bunny to choose from. Make one or make them all. You can get the templates that you will need HERE.
And if you like these cute paper animals, here are some other woodland animal crafts that you will enjoy:
- Painted Raccoon Craft
- Paper Bag Squirrel
- Fluffy Bunny Craft
- Fox Mobile
- Weaving Bunny Craft
- Newspaper Chipmunk Craft
Save this Paper Craft for Kids for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes (self-adhesive are best)
- Elmer’s glue
- Medium white pompom (for bunny only)
- Animal paper craft template
The supplies for these cute paper craft animals come from the master list of items that we use for every single craft project on this site and in our shop. We stick to this list to make crafting so easy for you and your family. Prep once, and you’re ready to go. That’s it! So…what are you waiting for? Make some crafts today. You’ll be so glad you did.
How to Make Paper Craft Animals
Step 1: Fold
- Choose a color of construction paper for your animal, depending on what pattern you have decided to make. The three options included in the templates are squirrel, raccoon and bunny.
- With the paper placed in landscape, fold the top third down (not in half) and crease it.
Step 2: Cut the Slits
- With the paper still folded, cut slits from the fold down, stopping about and inch from the bottom of the paper on the small side. **Do not cut through the paper.
- Keep cutting slits about 1/2″ apart all across the paper.
- Now open the paper up and lengthen the cuts on the long side so that they are also about an inch from the bottom. Try to keep them as straight as possible.
Step 3: Create the Paper Lantern
- Roll the paper into a tube, with the fold turning inward.
- Use your glue stick to attach the ends to create the tube shape.
Step 4: Use the Animal Craft Template
- Now print the template for the animal that you have decided to make. You can get your copy HERE.
- Use the template to cut out all of the parts for your paper animal craft.
Step 5: Decorate the Parts
- It’s easiest to decorate the parts of your animal before applying them to the “lantern”. So, first glue any parts together that need to be assembled, such as putting the centers in the ears.
- Then use your markers to add details to the parts of your animal.
Step 6: Put It Together
- It’s time for assembly. But before you add all of your cut out pieces, cut a small strip of paper, about 1/2 wide and the length of the short side of a piece of construction paper.
- Put this strip of paper around the fold of your paper lanter, where the neck of your animal will be. Use your glue stick to close the circle in the back.
- Finally, glue the pieces of your animal craft together. Add the ears and nose. Then put the arms in place and attach what they are holding. For the feet and tail, fold over a small section that will be attached to your “paper lantern” on the under side.
*We added a little curl to the tail and then secured the top of it to the back of the animal also, for both the racoon and squirrel. For the bunny, you will glue on a medium white pompom for the tail. Here’s a look at the back of each animal.
Step 7: Finish Off Your Paper Animals
- Place the googly eyes.
- Finally, give your animal some personality with your markers and scraps of paper (if you choose).
And now that you know how to make the squirrel craft, get all of the templates so that you can also make the raccoon and bunny crafts. They are so fun to make and even more fun to play with. Be sure to add your own touches and make them as unique as you are.