This sweet paper plate lion craft is easy to make and turns out so cute. After you make this zoo animal, make him some friends too and create an entire play experience. Here are a few friends that you might enjoy making:
Save this Easy Lion Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 2 Paper plates (9-inch coated)
- Yellow gold paint
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes (or printable paper eyes)
- Scotch tape
- Yellow pipe cleaner
- Orange tissue paper squares
- Lion craft template
Crafting with your kids is supposed to be FUN! It shouldn’t just be just another thing on the to do list. But I know that having to prep for hours and running to the store for supplies…again…can make it feel like a chore. That’s why we stick to a master list of craft supplies that we use for every single craft project on this site and in our shop. Fill your bag and craft along!
How to Make a Paper Plate Lion Craft
Step 1: Paint the Plates
- Lay out some newspaper on your crafting surface.
- Pinch a pompom with a clothespin to form a “paint brush”.
- Place the 2 plates on the newspaper, bottom side up.
- Then paint the plates golden yellow.
Step 2: Use the Lion Craft Template
- Download and print the lion craft template.
- Use the template to cut out all of the parts for your lion craft.
- In golden yellow, cut out 2 ears, 4 legs and the snout.
- Cut the nose from black construction paper.
Step 3: Build the Body
- Once the paint has dried, cut a flap into one of the paper plates about 2 inches wide and an inch deep, at the top of the body of your lion.
- Fold the flap up and cover it in glue using your glue stick.
- Overlap the 2 plates by a couple of inches and attach with the tab, forming the head and body of your lion craft.
- Press firmly and hold until the glue takes hold.
Step 4: Add the Mane
- Use your glue stick to first create a circle of orange tissue paper squares around the outside of the lion’s head, hanging over the edge and at varying angle to mimic the mane.
- Add a second circle of orange tissue paper squares inside that one.
- It’s good not to glue the pieces down securely so that they have a little bit of movement.
Step 5: Put the Parts Together
- Now glue on the 4 legs, pressing firmly so that the glue takes hold.
- Glue the nose onto the snout and put the snout in place.
Step 6: Complete the Face
- Put the googly eyes (or printable paper eyes) in place.
- Cut a slit in each of the ears, about an inch in the center bottom.
- Over lap the sides of the ear slightly at the fold and secure with your glue stick. Do this for each of the ears.
- Then glue the ears in place.
- Use your black Sharpie marker to add whiskers and other details.
Step 7: Give Your Lion Craft a Tail
- Cut a yellow pipe cleaner in half.
- Layer pieces of orange tissue paper around one end of the pipe cleaner.
- Then snip it to look like the hair on the tail.
- Tape the tail in place on the under side of your paper plate lion craft.
Now that you know how to make this paper plate lion, it’s time to make it your own. We stuck to traditional colors and design, but you can make your lion craft look however you like. Make the mane rainbow colors or paint the body pink with green polka dots. The only limit is your imagination.