This paper bag basketball craft puppet turns your favorite player into an interactive craft. It leads to hours of creative play. Use the free craft template as a starting point for easy crafting. Then use your favorite team colors and add whatever details you like to really make this fun basketball craft player puppet. Of course, you’re going to make more than one so that you can put on a puppet show with the entire team.
When my oldest son was a preschooler, he had imaginary friends. But these weren’t just made up anybodies. Instead, he chose his favorite sports characters from across different sports to be his friends. There were times when they were life-sized or bigger and other times when they could fit in the palm of your hand. It was adorable. One of his “imaginary” friends was a basketball legend…Larry Byrd.
Crafting with your kids could not be simpler…or more fun! when using craft flashcards. Get 100 sets today.
Fun Facts about the NBA
- At 5’3″, Muggsy Bogues is the smallest player to ever play in the NBA.
- Shaquille O’Neal had a rap hit.
- Kobe Bryant’s middle name is “Bean”.
- Wilt Chamberlain had his number retired by the Harlem Globetrotters.
- The NBA didn’t adopt the 3-point rule until the 1979-1980 season.
- The Celtics lost the finals only once with Bill Russell.
To learn more interesting facts about basketball, check out this article from Kiddle.
Save this Basketball Craft for Kids for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Paper lunch bag
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Printable paper eyes (or googly eyes)
- Basketball puppet template
Do you wish that you could find more time to craft with your kids? Well…we have the solution. Prep once by using our master list of craft supplies to fill your bag, and you’re ready to make everything that you see here. It could not be simpler.
How to make a Basketball Player Craft
Step 1: Use the Basketball Craft Template
- Print the free basketball craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your basketball player puppet from whatever colors of construction paper you like.
- Leave your basketball player bald or choose one of the hair designs from the templates.
Step 2: Make the Face
- Assemble the parts for the head of your basketball player, including hair (if you choose) and the headband.
- Add the eyes to your basketball player’s face. You can use googly eyes or print and cut out eyes from our free paper eyes printble.
- Use your markers to add the mouth and nose and any other details you would like to the face.
Step 3: Start Assembling
- With the opening of the paper lunch bag on the bottom, start by gluing on the basketball shirt from the template for the body of the basketball player, tucking it under the flap.
- Then add the head to the flap of the bag.
- Draw a number or logo on the circle for the front of the jersey and glue it in place.
Step 4: Finish Off Your Paper Bag Puppet Craft
- Glue the hands onto the end of each arm.
- Then put the arms in place by just gluing them at the shoulder.
- Now place the basketball in your player’s hand and secure with a little bit of glue.
- Use your markers to add any other details you would like.
Now that you know how to make this basketball player puppet, don’t stop at just one. He needs some teammates and maybe some oponents to play too. Then put on a puppet show.