Beavers are such interesting animals and completely adorable too. This beaver craft for kids starts with just a couple of paper plates and turns into something special using the free craft template. We are using paint, but you can also opt to forgo the paint and just use crayons or markers instead.
You’re Going to Want to Make EVERY SINGLE Paper Plate Animal Craft in this Collection with Your Kids…
Save this Paper Plate Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
Check out these fun facts about Beavers
- Beavers have a significant other and then live in family units.
- They slap their tails on the water to warn of danger.
- A beaver gnaws bark to keep its teeth from growing too large.
- Beavers are beneficial to the environment. By building dams, they manage water levels, flooding and erosion.
- They are the second largest rodent in the world.
Learn more about beavers in this “Fun Kids” article.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 2 Paper plates (9-inch coated)
- Brown paint
- Tape or stapler
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes or printable paper eyes
- Beaver craft template
I love a nice short supply list. It really doesn’t take much to be able to create together as a family. As a matter of fact, we never stray from the same 27 basic craft supplies that fit into one bag. We just keep thinking of new and interesting ways to use those things for fun crafting. So, fill your bag and craft along.
Read about Beavers
Elevate this activity for kids by combining making a beaver craft with reading a fun book about them. Not only will your kids enjoy this, but they will also be working on so many developmental skills, like fine motor skills, literacy, motor planning, visual perceptual skills, cognitive development and more. Here are some of our favorite books for kids about beavers.
Learn How to Make a Beaver Craft for Kids
Step 1: Paint
- Lay out some newspaper on your work surface.
- Place 2 paper plates on the newspaper, bottom up.
- Pinch the pompom with a clothespin to form a “paint brush”.
- Squeeze out some brown paint and paint the bottom of each plate.
- To make it look a little more like fur texture, tap the paint on using your pompom.
Step 2: Use the Beaver Craft Template
- Print out the beaver craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts for your beaver craft from construction paper as pictured.
Step 3: Build the Foundation
- Now that the paint has dried, overlap the plates slightly and secure in place using a couple of staples.
Step 4: Put the Beaver Craft Together
- Use the glue stick to add the beaver’s nose and teeth to the snout.
- Then also attach all of the beaver’s parts except the ears.
Step 5: Add the Ears and Eyes
- For the ears, cut a slight about 1″ long in the center.
- Overlap the 2 halves of the ear slightly and secure with your glue stick.
- Repeat this for the other ear.
- The glue the ears into place.
- Place large googly eyes or print, cut out and glue on paper eyes for your project.
You can find the free printable paper eyes HERE.
Step 6: finish with Some Details
- To finish off your paper plate beaver craft, pull out the markers.
- Use the markers to add details to your beaver such as eyebrows, a line on the teeth, etc.
Our beaver craft is made using traditional colors, but you can choose to use whatever colors you like best. Also, beel free to add details, like rosy cheeks, hair bows, tattoos, or whatever! This craft should be as unique as you are. The only limit is your imagination.