Around here, our favorite summer treat is ice cream! Of course, we never agree on what the best ice cream is. My youngest son prefers anything chocolate. I like mint chocolate chip. My husband enjoys cookies and cream the most. And then there’s my oldest son who’s allergic to milk but still loves a good raspberry sorbet. When you make this paper ice cream craft, you can choose what flavors your ice creams scoops will be in the sundae. You can even add sprinkles or chocolate chips if you’d like.
And if you enjoy this summer craft, I know that you’re also going to want to make our 3 scooped ice cream cone, the summer photo shoot props, this firefly puppet and these under the sea animals that you might spot on your trip to the beach.
Save this Ice Cream Sundae Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Elmer’s glue
- Cotton balls
- Ice Cream Craft Template
Simple crafts that leave lots of room for imagination are just the absolute best. And the best part about this paper ice cream craft is that it only takes a few basic craft supplies, all of which you already have in your kids’ craft bag if you’ve used our master list to stock up. We stick to the same list of 27 basic craft supplies so that you can prep just once and be ready to go to make hundreds and hundreds of amazing crafts with your kids. So…what are you waiting for? Fill your bag and craft along!
How to Make Paper Ice Cream Craft
Step 1: Use the Ice Cream Craft Template
- Print the ice cream craft template.
- Use it to cut out all of the parts of your banana split craft. Choose whatever colors you like for the dish and ice cream scoops.
*If you don’t have access to a printer, you can still make this craft. Just cut 3 circles about 3″ wide for the ice cream scoops, a long yellow banana shape and 3 small circles for cherries. Then draw and cut out a dish big enough to hold it all. This could even be as simple as a rectangle if you just aren’t into drawing.
Step 2: Glue Together Your Icecream Craft
- Start by glue the banana to the top and back side of the sundae dish using your glue stick.
- Then add the scoops of ice cream to the banana as pictured.
- Finally choose a piece of construction paper in whatever color you like best. And glue the entire ice cream sundae onto the paper toward the bottom. We want to leave enough room at the top of whipped cream and cherries.
Step 3: Draw on Some Details
- Use your markers to add details to your ice cream craft, like hot fudge and strawberry syrup.
Step 4: Bring on the Whipped Cream
- Take a cotton ball or two and pull until fluffy.
- Squeeze on a bit of Elmer’s glue where you want your whipped cream to go.
- Then add the fluffed up cotton in place to act as the whipped cream on your sundae craft.
Step 5: Finish Off Your Paper Icecream Craft with Some Cherries
- Cut a few stems for your cherries out of scraps of brown or black construction paper.
- Attach them using your glue stick.
- Then put dots of Elmer’s glue on the “whipped cream” where you want your cherries to go.
- Last, add your cherries to your paper ice cream craft.
Crafts are great, but I like to elevate the activity with more quality family time together. And what could be better than combining this sundae craft with making actual sundaes. Check out this fun way to make homemade ice cream in a bag from our friends over at Delish. Make the ice cream from scratch and then add whatever toppings you want. Maybe you can even make it look like the sundae you dreamed up when making this craft.