Cat Craft (with Free Template)
This sweet cat craft starts with a couple of paper plates and turns into something that you’re going to want to create more of…why not a whole litter? We made ours a calico cat, but you can choose to make your cat using any design you want. Make him look like your own pet or the cat of your dreams. Or maybe he will be rainbow colored…there really are no limits.
For our cat craft, we chose to use paint, but you can opt out if you just aren’t up for the mess or don’t have the colors that you want to use. Instead, use crayons or markers. I promise that your cat will turn out just as adorable.
And if you like making this cat craft, you’re also going to love making this sleeping cat, these paper bag cats or this set of popsicle stick pet crafts.
You’re Going to Want to Make EVERY SINGLE Paper Plate Animal Craft in this Collection with Your Kids…
Fun Facts about Calico Cats
- To be called a calico cat, the colors black, orange and white have to be present.
- Most calico cats are female. Only 1 in about 3,000 are male.
- They are similar to cats called torties, which have the same colors present, but calicos are mostly white while torties are mostly dark brown.
- It’s believed that calico cats originated in Egypt, but now they’re found all over the world.
- Calico cats are the official cat of the state of Maryland because their colors are similar to the state bird, the Baltimore Oriole.
- They’re thought to bring good luck in Japan.
- Old Irish folklore says that you can cure a wart by rubbing it against a calico cat’s tail.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 2 Paper plates (9-inch coated)
- Paints (or crayons)
- Scotch tape
- 3 Pipe cleaners (colors of your choice)
- Glue stick
- Construction paper
- Googly eyes
- Black Sharpie marker
- Cat craft template
Don’t you hate starting to bake something yummy when you realize that you don’t have a key ingredient and need to stop until you can run to the store? So frustrating…Not having everything that you need to make a certain craft that you love can be the same way. But if you have filled your bag using our master list of craft supplies, you’ll always have everything that you need to make the crafts that you see on this site and in our shop…without fail. So…what are you waiting for? Fill your bag and craft along.
Save this Paper Plate Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
How to make a Cat Craft
Step 1: Use the Cat Craft Template
- Download and print the cat craft template
- Use the template to cut out all of the parts from construction paper. Choose colors that go with the type of cat you would like to make. Since we made a calico cat, we chose most white with some brown and black for the parts and a pink nose.
Step 2: Decorate Your Cat
- Lay out some newspaper on your crafting surface.
- Place your 2 paper plates and cut out ears and legs on the newspaper.
- Choose whatever paint colors your want to use.
- Then paint your cat in whatever design you would like using pompoms.
If you really do not want to mess with paint, you can opt to use crayons or markers for this step instead.
Step 3: Put It Together
- Once the paint has dried, cut a one inch tab in one of the plate (the one that is the body of your cat).
- Fold it up slightly and cover it generously with the glue stick.
- Attach the other plate, pressing firmly on the tab so that the glue takes hold.
Step 4: Continue Assembly
- Use your glue stick again to attach the cat’s legs.
Step 5: Make the Cat’s Face
- Now it’s time to put the cat’s face together by first glue on the nose onto the snout.
- Then add the snout to the head of your cat in the bottom half.
- Place the googly eyes.
Step 6: Add the Ears
- Take one of the cat’s ears and overlap the 2 sides at the slit. Secure it with your glue stick.
- Then attach the ear to the head of your cat craft.
- Repeat this process with the other ear.
Step 7: Give Him Some Whiskers
- Give your cat come details, like whiskers and eyebrows (or whatever you want) using your black sharpie markers.
Step 8: Add the Tail to Your Cat Craft
- To creat the tail of your cat, twist together 3 pipe cleaners in whatever colors you like.
- Fold over the end slightly and squeeze so that it is no longer sharp.
- Tape the tail in place and give it a little curl.
Now that you know how to make this cat craft, maybe you can make it again using 6 inch plates, if you have them on hand. Just reduce the size of the pdf by 30% prior to printing. Those could be your cat’s kittens. Make an entire family with a little of kitties.