Space crafts are so much fun to make, and this moon craft with a rocket ship flying around it is one of the best. Keep the painting of the moon as simple or elaborate as you want. You can even opt for using crayons instead of paint if you want to skip the mess and waiting for drying time. Use the free rocket ship template printable to make this craft super easy to make but still just as much fun.
This craft pairs perfectly with some of other space crafts, like this set of popsicle stick space crafts, this solar system mobile or this paper plate UFO. Kids can engage their imaginations to make out of this world stories and puppet shows with these crafts.
Make Even More Crafts with Your Kids (You’ll be so happy you did)
Save this Moon Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 2 Paper plates (9-inch coated)
- Tones of gray paint
- Clothespin (optional)
- Glue stick
- Single hole punch
- Metal brad
- Rocket ship printable
Around here we like to do more with less. That means less mess, less prep for mama, less craft clutter around your house…but so much more fun and creativity happening. And we do this by sticking to a master list of basic craft supplies that fit into one bag. We use this set of supplies for every project that you see here (and in our shop). That way, once you fill your bag, your work is done. Just sit back and craft with your kids, picking from our extensive list of projects, over and over again without any more prep time needed.
Space Books for Kids
Reading is such a great way to elevate any craft. Not only can it create a full play experience but it encourages imagination, cognitive reasoning and literacy skills. Here are some of our favorite books about space for kids that you could pair with this rocket ship craft.
Moon Craft (with Rocket Ship) Instructions
Step 1: Paint
- Lay out some newspaper on your work surface.
- Place a paper plate on the newspaper upside down.
- Pin the pompom with a clothespin
- Squeeze out some gray paint onto the newspaper
- Paint the bottom of the paper plate gray. You do not need to paint the edges since that part is going to get cut away in a future step.
Step 2: Create the Moon
- Now squeeze out some other shades of gray or black or white paint.
- Use these other colors to create moon craters and texture on the moon.
- You can tap paint with a pompom and use a q-tip to add details.
Step 3: Use the Rocket Ship Template Printable
- While the paint on your moon is drying, print out the rocket ship.
- Choose which one you would like to use. If you would like to use the black and white rocket ship, color it in with markers or crayons.
- Then cut out your spaceship.
Step 4: Cut Out the Moon
- Now that the paint has dried, cut the center out of your paper plate so that you have a circular moon.
Step 5: Engineering
- Cut a long, skinny rectangle out of a piece of another paper plate. It should be long enough to go from the center of the circle and hang out over the edge about 2 inches.
- Punch a hole in one end.
- Snip a small slit in the center of your moon. **This step should be completed by an adult.
- Then use a brad to attach the cut out rectangle to the center of the moon on the back. Make sure that it’s loose enough so that the piece can spin around easily.
Step 6: Make the Rocket Ship Craft Fly
- Use your glue stick to attach the rocket ship to the end of the long rectangle.
Now that you know how to make this moon craft, don’t just let it sit there and gather dust. Give it some friends and create some stories. Maybe you discover that there are aliens on the moon and learn more about them. Or you see how fast a rocket ship really can fly and take turns flying around the moon. Imagine what you might see out of the windows of that rocket ship. The only limit is your imagination.
Watch this Rocket Craft in action as the rocket ship flies around the moon…
More Space Craft Ideas
- Popsicle Stick Space Crafts
- Solar System Mobile
- Paper Plate Death Star Craft
- R2D2 Craft
- Printable Solar System
- BB8 Craft
- Moon card
- Flying Spaceship UFO
- Rocket Name Craft