This moon craft DIY card is beautiful on the front, but the real surprise is when you open it up and the moon pops up inside. Space crafts are one of my favorite things to make because there is just so much to be amazed by. Plus they are just plain fun. Think of all the lovely messages that you can write inside your card. You will love making it, and someone is definitely going to LOOOOVE receiving it. Who will you make your DIY spaced themed card for?
Make Even More Crafts with Your Kids (You’ll be so happy you did)
Save this Moon Craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Black and grey construction paper
- Glue stick
- Scraps of yellow construction paper (optional)
- Moon card printable
Isn’t it amazing what you can do with just a few basic supplies? We are a proponent of doing more with less. As a matter of fact, we stick to a master of list of just 27 basic items (that includes our scissors, glue, tape, etc.) to make every single creative project on this site. Even our ebooks stick to this list. And I think that you would agree that it has not stinted our creativity. Fill your bag and craft along! You will love how little effort it takes to craft some memories with your kids.
If you enjoy this craft, check out even more space crafts…
- Paper Plate Solar System Mobile
- Triangle Space Crafts
- The Cow Jumped Over the Moon Craft
- Alien Spaceship
Moon Craft Card Instructions
Step 1: Fold and Cut
- Fold a black (or dark blue) piece of construction paper in half for the base of your card.
- Then take your piece of gray construction paper and fold it in half length-wise.
- Cut on the fold of the gray paper so that you have 2 long strips
Step 2: Add Some Craters
- Decorate both gray strips of paper on one side using your markers. Form moon craters and whatever else you want to appear on your moon (maybe there are little aliens on yours…you do you).
Step 3: Accordion Fold Your Moon
- Accordion fold each of the long strips of decorated gray paper. *I folded mine in half and then kept folding it from there so the the sections were even and each strip had the same number of even folds.
Step 4: Put the Full Moon in Place
- Attach the 2 strips of gray paper using your glue stick so that they are one continuous accordion.
- Open up your folded black paper so that you are seeing the middle of the card.
- Now glue one end of the accordion folded paper to one side of the card in the top third and the other end to the other side of the card.
- Press firmly and give the glue a minute to set up before opening the card fully.
Step 5: Use the Space Craft Printable
- Print the space craft coloring sheet and color the elements.
- Then cut them out.
- We also used the stars as a template to cut some stars out of yellow construction paper.
Step 6: Put Your DIY Card Together
- Decorate your card with the cutouts from the printable.
- We put
Now that you know how to make a 3D moon craft with paper, it’s time to put your own personal stamp on it. Yours should not look like mine. This is your chance to use your imagination and make your card look however you want. Moon arts and crafts are so fun to make, and they leave lots of room for creativity. I mean, I haven’t been to the moon. Have you? So, who’s to say what is really up there. Maybe your moon has a unicorn on it…or a 3 eyed alien…or beautiful gemstones. Make it your own.
Watch this Full Moon Craft in action…
More Space Craft Ideas for Kids
If you love this moon card, you’re going to love these outerspace craft ideas for kids. Make them all. And check out our full list of space crafts here.
- Popsicle Stick Space Crafts
- Solar System Mobile
- Paper Plate Death Star Craft
- R2D2 Craft
- Printable Solar System
- BB8 Craft
- Rocket Ship around the Moon Craft
- Moon card
- Flying Spaceship UFO
- Rocket Name Craft