These free printable solar system cut outs are a fun and simple way to really learn about our sun, planets and so much more. Do this space activity all at once or add the planets one at a time while you work through lessons on each, from Mercury to Pluto (yes, we included Pluto…did you hear it’s a planet again? We missed Pluto.)
Save these Solar System Printables pdf for later. Pin them to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- White yarn
- Scotch tape
- Glue stick
- Crayons or markers (optional)
- Solar System Printables pdf
This craft is a little unusual compared to other crafts here since it mainly a printable that you will be working with. But, regardless, you will not need much more to complete this craft, and everything that you need is already in your craft bag if you have use our master list to fill your bag. It’s a list of just 27 basic craft supplies that fit into one bag, each one is inexpensive and versatile.
And…we never stray from the list for any creative project that we make here so that you will not have to keep running to the store or putting off crafting with your kids because you just don’t have what you need to make that special craft. So, what are you waiting for? Go fill that bag!
Solar System Activity Instructions
Step 1: Get the Free Printable Solar System Cut Outs
- There are 2 versions of this printable solar system. Choose the already colored or the black and white and ready to color version of these free printable solar system cut outs.
- Print your choice of solar system onto heavy cardstock.
Step 2: Cut Out Your Easy Solar System Project
- If you chose the version of the printable that is outlines, use some markers or crayons to color the sun and planets for your solar system craft.
- Then cut out all of the pieces and fold each of the planets on the dotted line.
Step 3: Put the Sun Together
- Because the sun is larger than all of the planets, it takes up 2 pages.
- Fold over the tab and glue it to the other half of the sun using your glue stick. Be sure to line up the sides of the sun so that they match.
Step 4: String It Up
- Cut a length of white yarn about 2 to 3 yards long.
- Place each planet and the sun over the string.
- Then place a small tape roll inside each piece to keep it closed.
- Trim away any excess yarn that you do not need to hang your solar system project.