This easy crab craft for kids is part of a series this week of ocean animals. Each sea creature just seems to be cuter than the one before. And your kids will love crafting along! So, pull out that craft bag (you did fill it up using our MASTER LIST, didn’t you?) and get to creating!
Pin it for later!
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- 3 Large popsicle sticks
- Elmer’s glue
- Red construction paper
- Glue stick
- 2 Small googly eyes
- Red paint
- Medium pompom
These supplies are already in your bag if you have used our MASTER LIST to stock up. Once you fill up your bag (and believe me, it won’t take much to do that) you will have what you need to make EVERY…SINGLE…CRAFT on this site. Being ready to create with your family at a moment’s notice when you finally find a few free moments is absolutely priceless.
Step 1: Make the Triangle
- Glue together 3 large popsicle sticks to form a triangle
- Allow the glue plenty of time to dry
*Tip: You may want to make up the triangle frame the night before to give the glue time to set up. As a matter of fact, make several of the triangle frames while you are at it because, around here, we use them a lot. Check out these other crafts that also start with a triangle frame: SUMMER FRUIT, FARM ANIMALS, DINOSAURS, PLAY FOOD
Step 2: Paint
- Place the triangle frame on the newspaper to minimize the mess
- Squeeze out a bit of red paint
- Pinch the pompom with the clothespin to form a “paint brush”
- Now, paint your frame red. *This may take a couple of coats for good coverage.
- Allow the paint to dry
*Tip: After you paint the frame, immediately move it a little bit on the newspaper so that it does not stick. Move it a couple more times during the drying process.
Step 3: Create the Base
- Place the triangle onto the red construction paper and trace around the outside.
- Now, draw another triangle inside that one, approximately 1/8″ inside the border…
- OR use the free template which includes the triangle form.
- Now cut out the paper triangle and use the glue stick to adhere it to the back of the frame.
Step 4: Put it Together
- Again on the red construction paper, draw 6 legs, 2 large claws, 2 small claws and 2 semi circles (for the eyes)…
- OR print the free template trace around each part
- Cut out all of your pieces and glue them in place on the triangle base
Cutting out all of these detailed pieces takes more advanced scissors skills. For toddlers, do all of the cutting in advance. Then let them do all of the painting and gluing…they will love it! For preschoolers who are learning to use scissors, have them cut out the triangle. But first trace it in a bold marker to make it easier. There is lots of room for error with this since the popsicle sticks are wide and will cover the edges. So, truly, just let them try, even it if means they do not do it perfectly. Be sure to offer lots of encouragement and praise.
Step 5: Add the Details
- Glue the googly eyes in place
- Add details using your markers as desired. I added a little bit of outlining and some eyebrows.