This Clifford the Big Red Dog craft is just simply fun. I mean, Clifford simply brings joy. I remember reading the books as a child and then reading them to my sons when they are little and now he gets to be loved by a whole new generation. Of course you know there is a new movie and there are tons of cartoons with Clifford, but I still love the books. What better way to encourage a love for reading than with these whimsical stories with our favorite big red dog?
Here are just a few for you to check out…
Save this Clifford craft for later. Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board…
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Red and black construction paper
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes
- Clifford craft template
I know that it can be a challenge to find time to craft with your kids, but I also know that you want to (or you wouldn’t be here). So, let me make your life just a little bit easier…use our master list to fill your craft bag, and your prep work is done…period. We stick to the same list of supplies (that fit into one bag) to make all of our crafts. That’s why we say…”One little bag, hours of creativity!” Now…go make something with your kids. What are you waiting for?
Clifford the Big Red Dog Craft Instructions
Step 1: Use the Printable Craft Template
- Print the templates for this Clifford the Big Red Dog craft.
- Use the template to cut the parts of your dog craft from red construction paper.
- Cut his nose from some black construction paper.
*To simplify this project, leave out the back legs and just create a one dimensional version of Clifford instead.
Step 2: Build the Foundation
- Use your glue stick to attach Clifford’s front and back paws together, leaving the bottom half unglued.
- Fold the bottom of both sets of paws, about 1/2″.
Step 3: Make Clifford Smile
- Again, use your glue stick to attach Clifford’s ears.
- Then add his black nose and put the googly eyes in place.
- Use a thin black marker to draw on his smile.
Step 4: Add the Parts
- Next, glue the head of your big red dog to his body.
- Also put his tail in place.
- Add details with your markers as you would like.
Step 5: Put in the Supports
- Since Clifford is so large, he has some trouble standing up on his own. To help with this we are going to add some supports to his legs.
- Cut 2 identical red triangles and fold tabs on each side.
- Trim the triangle to a height that will fit in the space left between his front and back legs.
- Put glue on the folded tabs of your triangles and put the supports in place as pictured.
Now that you know how to make Clifford the Big Red Dog, let’s make him some friends so that you can play and tell stories with your new crafty creation. Maybe he would like to hang out with Curious George or an elephant that is just his size. He could have a couple of sheep for friends or some neighborhood cats.