This week we are playing with the popsicle stick triangle frames again! I just love starting off with something so basic and having it turn into something so cute! This Rooster Kids Craft is part of a collection of barnyard animals that we will be making all week long. Check out the rest of the barnyard crew: HORSE, PIG, SHEEP, and COW.
SUPPLIES FROM THE BAG
- Elmer’s glue
- White construction paper
- 3 large popsicle sticks
- Glue stick
- Scraps of yellow and red construction paper
- Large googly eye
- Red and black markers
- White paint
- Medium pompom
In case you are wondering what we mean by “in the bag”, check out THIS page to find out more, including a FREE printable craft supply shopping list. You are in for a treat because we have the answer for you for how to spend more time creating with your kiddos, less prep and less stress. Using our “in the bag” system, you will now be able to craft with your kids whenever you find that rare open moment in the day without additional prep! Just pick out your favorite craft from the blog, and you already have everything you need to craft along. I cannot wait to see what you make!!!
- Glue together 3 large popsicle sticks into a triangle frame shape using Elmer’s glue
- Allow the glue to dry thoroughly
- *You may want to prepare several triangle frames at once so that they are ready for other projects. Just keep them in your craft bag.
- Trace around the outside of the triangle frame onto white construction paper with your pencil
- Draw a line inside what you have traced about 1/8″
If your kiddo is a little one and just learning cutting skills, starting with this simple shape is great. To make it a little easier, go over the pencil line with a bold black or red marker line and encourage them to have their scissors “eat” the line, cutting right through it instead of to the side. This is a new concept for many youngsters, as they had been told to that point that they should color inside the lines, not on them.
- Place the triangle frame on the newspaper
- Pinch the pompom with the clothespin to form a “paint brush”
- Squeeze a little white paint onto the newspaper and paint the triangle frame
- Set aside and allow the paint to dry
- First, cut out the white triangle
- Then, cut a beak out of the yellow scrap of paper
- Last, cut a comb and wattle out of the scrap of red construction paper
- *These do not need to be perfect or any particular size. You can use your judgement. The wattle should look like a long, skinny upside down heart shape. If it is easier, draw the shapes first and then cut. For little ones who are not yet good with scissor use, these can be pre-cut or assistance given.
- First use the the glue stick to adhere the white triangle onto the back of the painted popsicle stick frame
- Then, glue the features (googly eye, wattler, comb and beak) into place using the glue stick
- Last, add some detail, such as eyebrow, smile and shadows, using your markers
Your rooster kids craft does not need to look like mine, and it should not! Make it your own. If you want your rooster to have a purple comb, you do you. Really! There are not limits but your imagination! And then please share your finished projects. Send pics and stories to [email protected]!